[Blueboard] [On March 29] SUSI: UNLOCKING OUR CHINESE CULINARY HERITAGE

Department of Sociology and Anthropology [LS] socioanthro.soss at ateneo.edu
Wed Mar 20 11:31:23 +08 2019

The Chinese Studies Program and Department of Sociology and Anthropology

Ateneo de Manila University

Present

SUSI: UNLOCKING OUR CHINESE CULINARY HERITAGE

2nd SOSS School Level Talk
(S.Y 2018-2019)

Resource Speakers

Dr. Fernando N. Zialcita
Professor Emeritus, Department of Sociology & Anthropology

Ms. Sol Wong
Restauranteur, New Toho Food Center (Opened since 1888)

Mark Ong
MA Anthropology Candidate, Multilinguist Tutor

28 March 2019, Thursday
5:00–6:30 pm
Faber Hall Room 101

This event is jointly organized by the Chinese Studies Program and the
Department of Sociology and Anthropology for the Faculty, Staff and Centers
of the School of Social Sciences

In our Global Age, Philippine culture stands out because of its multiple
cultural connections. This event celebrates our Chinese connection by
unlocking doors: the Chinese ancestry of everyday words in Tagalog and the
ancestry of basic components of our cooking such as ingredients, utensils,
and recipes of well-known dishes. A vivid example of the Chinese connection
is the story of Binondo’s New Toho Restaurant, the oldest restaurant in
Manila which opened in 1866..

To reserve a slot or confirm your attendance, you may reply to this email
on or before Friday, March 22 or you may pre-register here:
https://goo.gl/forms/bJqKxmHj4byOGGlI3

Thank you very much. We look forward to seeing you there!

--
*DEPARTMENT OF SOCIOLOGY AND ANTHROPOLOGY*
1/F Ricardo and Dr. Rosita Leong Hall
Email: socioanthro.soss at ateneo.edu
Phone/Fax: 426-5990 or 426-6001 locals 5270/71
Website: www.dsa-ateneo.net | www.admu.edu.ph/ls/soss/socio-anthro
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ateneosocioanthro

--

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email, including any attachments, is only
intended for the use of the addressee. It may contain confidential or

Data privacy issues should be directed to the University Data
Protection Office at the following contact information: questions or
clarifications (info.udpo at ateneo.edu <mailto:info.udpo at ateneo.edu>);
complaints or security incidents involving personal data
(alert.udpo at ateneo.edu <mailto:alert.udpo at ateneo.edu>).