[Blueboard] Union strike

Office of the President [OP] president at ateneo.edu
Wed Feb 7 08:36:52 +08 2018

​[image: Inline image 1]

Memo to         :           The University Community

Subject            :           Union strike

The negotiations of the CBA began on June 20, 2017 and the administration
panel engaged with the union fully committed to coming to an agreement that
would be just and fair for all.  After more than seven months of
negotiations, I regret to inform you all that the preventive mediation
facilitated by the Regional Conciliation and Mediation Board – NCR
(RCMB-NCR) of the DOLE did not produce an agreement between the parties.

When the union submitted their strike vote on January 24, 2018, that
entailed a 7-day strike ban period within which the parties could continue
negotiating to come to a resolution. The strike ban lapsed on January 31
but as I informed the community, I had the opportunity to speak with AEWU
President Sonnie Amata and we once again expressed our willingness to meet
and to achieve a resolution. Even these extended measures were not enough
to settle the dispute, and I am deeply disappointed that this was not
achieved.

At this juncture, we should be prepared for a strike and other concerted
activities. The University will address the situation in accordance with
the law and we expect the union to do the same. Even with this impasse, the
University remains open to all avenues toward resolution, including
arbitration by an independent third party.

I assure the community that the University will continue to hold regular
classes and office hours. Operations and services will not be disrupted.
The heads of the different school units have contingency plans in place. We
ask all employees and students for their patience and cooperation through
these difficult times. Let us come together in the true generous spirit of
*bayanihan*. Most especially, we call upon the entire community to keep us
in your prayers as we continue to hope to reach an agreement peacefully.

Even as our colleagues in the union go on strike, keep in mind that we will
continue to meet at the negotiating table as co-workers, colleagues,
friends in the Lord, partners in this mission we call the Ateneo de Manila
University.

Peace,

Jose Ramon T Villarin SJ

Office of the President
Ateneo de Manila University
Katipunan Avenue, Loyola Heights,
Quezon City 1108
Philippines
Tel No: 63 (02) 426 6001
Fax No: 63 (02) 426 6079

--

------------------------------

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email, including those in its attachments, is
intended for the use of the person/s it is addressed to. It may contain
personal data, or information that is confidential or privileged, which are
protected from unauthorized use or disclosure by law. If you are not the
intended recipient, please be aware that printing, copying, dissemination,
distribution, disclosure, forwarding of, or acting in reliance upon the
information contained in this communication is strictly prohibited. If you
and permanently delete it, including any attachments, from your system.
Unless otherwise indicated, the contents of this email and/or its
attachments do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the Ateneo
de Manila University, its personnel, or its students.

If you have questions or clarifications regarding any matter relating to
data protection, you may write to the University Data Protection Office at
info.udpo at ateneo.edu. You may also file a complaint or report a security
incident involving personal data by writing to: alert.udpo at ateneo.edu.