[Blueboard] Information regarding the September 13 incident

Campus Safety and Mobility Office [CSMO] csmo at ateneo.edu
Wed Sep 20 15:35:41 +08 2017

​Date            :      20 September 2017

Memo to     :      The University Community

>From          :      Mr. Marcelino J. Mendoza

                          Director - Campus Safety and Mobility Office
(CSMO)

Subject      :       Information regarding the September 13 incident

On the night of 13 September 2017, we received reports of inspections of
commercial establishments along Katipunan Avenue.  The Quezon City Police
District (QCPD) has confirmed the incident and clarified that the operation
was part of *Oplan Bakal* - a campaign against illegal firearms that
consists of on-the-spot, unannounced inspections of bars, nightclubs, and
other places that serve alcoholic beverages (*see *https://goo.gl/jpeU8D ).
This incident has led to our students feeling unsafe and lost as to how to
respond to such a situation.

We wish to reassure the Ateneo de Manila community that we are in close
coordination with the QCPD and Barangay Loyola Heights officials to shed
light on the matter and provide us with key updates. The University is
committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for our students,
employees and guests within and in the general vicinity of the campus. This
ongoing dialogue between the school, the barangay and the police will go a
long way in ensuring all our basic human rights.

For the time being, we would like to request everyone to keep alert and
make well-informed, wise decisions. Your safety is our utmost concern.
Attached is an infographic that we can all use to help us practice safety
measures.

In case you are searched on Katipunan, you may call the *Ateneo Security
Hotline* for assistance:

*0917 562 8641* (Globe)
*0999 992 5715* (Smart)

To report any anomalous or disrespectful behavior of cops in the
conduct of *Oplan
Bakal*, you may call the *QCPD Director's Hotline:*

*0917 861 1870 *(Globe)

Thank you and please be guided accordingly.

Please email comments to:  *Mr. Marcelino J. Mendoza *at mjmendoza at ateneo.ed
u or
                                    *Engr. Nhoy Almosera* at
jalmosera at ateneo.edu