[Blueboard] A New Testament Course in Vietnamese at TMP-LST

Theology and Ministry Program [LS] theomin.soh at ateneo.edu
Sat Sep 9 08:12:48 +08 2017

This School Year 2017-2018 in the Second Semester, we will begin our
"Theology in an Asian Language Series" by offering a Biblical Theology
course in Vietnamese. The Vietnamese comprise the biggest group of
international students at the Theology and Ministry Program (LST). We will
also offer Theology courses in other Asian languages in the succeeding
semesters in order to provide opportunities for our bigger international
groups to theologize in the Asian context and in their own Asian language.

[image: alt]

*ĐỌC CÁC SÁCH PHÚC ÂMNHƯ MỘT KINH SƯ CÓ HIỂU BIẾT VỀ NƯỚC TRỜI*

*Reading the Gospels Like a ScribeInstructed in the Kingdom of Heaven*

*About the Visiting Professor*

Our visiting professor is Fr. Joseph Nguyễn Công Đoan SJ, a Vietnamese
Jesuit. He obtained his Licentiate in Sacred Scripture (SSL) degree from
the Pontifical Biblical Institute in Rome. From 1975 to 1981 – under very
difficult circumstances – he served as Regional Superior of Jesuits in
Vietnam. He was arrested by the Communist authorities at that time and was
interred in a prison and labor camp from 1981-1990. In 2003, he was called
to Rome by Fr. General to serve as General Counselor and Regional Assistant
for East Asia and Oceania. He was then appointed as Superior of Jesuits in
the Holy Land from 2008 to 2014. Now living in Jerusalem, he does spiritual
ministry at the service of religious communities.

*Course Description*

Right from the first Kerygma, the apostles have referred to the Old
Testament to explain the mystery of Jesus Christ as an accomplishment of
God’s plan announced by Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms, i.e. the Old
Testament Scripture. Jesus himself proposed a model: “Every scribe who has
been instructed in the kingdom of heaven is like the head of a household
who brings from his storeroom both the new and the old” (Mt 13, 52). Today,
biblical scholars offer so many methods to interpret the gospels. The
purpose of this course is to provide the students with a privileged
experience of reading the gospels *secundum Scripturas* and to help
students to approach the Word of God in a living and personal way.

This 3-unit course may be enrolled as credit or audit. No sit-in students
are allowed. Cross-enrollees from other schools should present a
Cross-Enroll Form signed by their Dean or Registrar upon enrollment.

Cross-enrollees should download the Application Form for Non-Certificate
students from www.lst.edu/academics/downloads and email the accomplished
form to vpacademic at lst.edu, indicating their intent to enroll in the
course. Enrollment instructions will be sent by email.

*Class Schedule*

Second Semester, SY 2017-2018
Monday and Thursday, 2:00 to 4:40 pm
>From the week of January 15