[Blueboard] New Dean of the School of Humanities

Office of the President [OP] president at ateneo.edu
Tue May 30 11:14:22 +08 2017

​[image: Inline image 1]

Memo to         :           The University Community

Subject            :           New Dean of the School of Humanities

​

Upon the recommendation of the Search Committee for Dean of the School of
Humanities and with the approval of the Board of Trustees, I am pleased to
announce the appointment of Dr Jonathan O Chua for a two-year term from 1
June 2017 to 31 May 2019.

Jonathan is assuming his new leadership role in the Loyola Schools directly
from other administrative assignments, as Chair of the Department of
Interdisciplinary Studies and Editor of *Asian Perspectives in the Arts and
the Humanities.* He has served the University in other capacities as well,
as Officer-in-Charge of the University Press and as a member of the Press
Board, the Scholarly Work Committee, Rizal Library Board, and School
Council of the Loyola Schools.

Among Jonathan’s research interests are interdisciplinary approaches to the
arts, as shown in the books he has edited and the exhibits he has curated
for the Ateneo Art Gallery and the Ateneo Library of Women’s Writings. His
academic degrees include a PhD in English Studies (Anglo-American
Literature) from the University of the Philippines, a Master of Arts in
Literature (English) and a Bachelor of Arts in Humanities, both from the
Ateneo de Manila University.

On behalf of the Ateneo de Manila, I would like to thank Jonathan for his
Ignatian magnanimity in accepting this new mission to lead the School of
Humanities.

We also thank Dr Benilda S Santos for generously serving as Dean of the
School of Humanities this past school year. We continue to pray for her
good health.

We express our deep appreciation for the work done by the School of
Humanities Search Committee, whose members are Dr Benjamin T Tolosa Jr
(Chair), Dr Evangeline P Bautista, Dr Maria Assunta C Cuyegkeng, Dr Lota A
Teh, and Mr Martin V Villanueva.

amdg,

Jose Ramon T Villarin SJ

Office of the President