[Blueboard] Invite to MS ECE Thesis Presentation: Engr Jedd Emille Chua

Ma. Catherine I. Dela Cruz mdelacruz at ateneo.edu
Tue Jan 31 16:51:45 PHT 2017

*Engr. Jedd Emille B. Chua* will present and defend his thesis as follows:

Date:     February 01, 2017, Wednesday

Time:    10*:00 and to 12:00nn *

Venue*:  CTC 315*

*Panelists:*
Dr. Ma. Regina Justina E. Estuar

Daniel Lagazo, MS

John Patrick Azcueta, MS

*Adviser:*

Dr. Rosula SJ Reyes

*Title:*   “Gamification of Balance Evaluation and Intervention for Stroke
               Patients using  Game Design Theories for Motivation and
                   Feedback”

*Thesis abstract:*

Balance rehabilitation for post-stroke and post-injury patients in the
Philippines is mostly manual, therapist-driven, and qualitative.
Qualitative and manual approaches do not have consistent evaluation for
patients. Also, patient safety is a concern. Lastly, they do not ensure
motivation for both patients and therapists to perform repetitive
exercises. For this study, our team built an automated balance board to
conduct the static and dynamic balance exercises to a post-stroke and
post-injury patients. Our team also developed a gamified environment for
ensuring motivation while such exercises are conducted. I conducted a
pre-clinical test of eighteen (18) healthy subjects to evaluate if this
game is usable, engaging, and fit for the target demographic. Tests results
show that this device is usable, but needed certain improvements with both
the hardware and software. The device is also very enjoyable with some need
for improvements and additional features. But this device is yet to be
conclusive if this helps with the post-stroke and post-injury patients.

Thank you.

Ma. Catherine* "Irene" *dela Cruz
Dept of Electronics, Computer and Communications Engineering
3F Faura Hall, Ateneo de Manila University, Loyola Heights, QC
Trunkline (+632) 426 6001 local 5641
Telefax    (+632) 426 5436