[Blueboard] talk on social media and democracy

Department of Communication [LS] communication.soss at ateneo.edu
Mon Feb 20 14:00:07 PHT 2017

*​​T​​he D​epartment of C​ommunicationand*

*A​sian **C​enter for **J​ournalism*

​​
 invite you to a talk titled

*​SOCIAL MEDIA IN THE AGE OF LIKES, FAKES, AND TROLLS​*

​

by *Chay F. Hofileña*

​​

13 March 2017 (Monday)

4:00 PM – 5:00 PM

Case Study Room

Social Sciences Building

*Abstract*

Filipinos are now the top users of social media worldwide, spending an
average of 4 hours and 17 minutes a day. 58% of the Philippine population
have active accounts on Facebook, the top social network with 1.87 billion
users as of January 2017. This huge community on social media presents both
possibilities and perils. Of late, there has been a proliferation of fake
Facebook accounts, sock puppets or trolls, fake news, and even fake news
sites. They conspire to create a false perception of reality, leading
uncritical audiences to accept as truth what is, in fact, propaganda and
lies being propagated on social media. Our newsfeeds are shaped by
Facebook’s algorithm, which is dictated by “likes” that can be boosted by
organized networks. We are seeing polarization on social media, facilitated
by echo chambers and filter bubbles. What does this mean for our democracy?
We used to say social media can be used for social good. Is this still
possible in this age of likes, fakes and trolls?

*Chay F. Hofileña* teaches news writing, investigative journalism and media
ethics in the Department of Communication and Asian Center for Journalism
at the Ateneo de Manila University. Currently, she is head of the
investigative desk of *Rappler*, a social news network. A multi-awarded
investigative journalist, her works include *News for Sale: The Corruption
and Commercialization of the Philippine Media*(2004) and (with Miriam Grace
Go) *Ambition, Destiny, Victory: Stories from a Presidential Election*
 (2011).

--

*Department of Communication*
Room 311 3/F Social Sciences Building,

Trunkline : +63 2 426 6001 ext 5210 <+63%202%20426%206001> to 5211
Direct line: +63 2 426 5963 <+63%202%20426%205963>
Fax         : +63 2 426 6133 <+63%202%20426%206133>