[Blueboard] Edmundo F Nolasco, 96

Office of the President [OP] president at ateneo.edu
Wed Aug 9 09:36:48 +08 2017

​[image: Inline image 1]

Memo to         :           The University Community

Subject            :           Edmundo F Nolasco, 96

With sadness we inform the University Community of the passing of Dr
Edmundo F Nolasco (AB ’49, Class Valedictorian), recipient of the
university’s Lux in Domino Award in 2013.

​

Along with 33 other Ateneo ROTC cadets, he volunteered to fight during
World War II and survived the Bataan Death March by escaping along the
route. Inspired by Fr Joseph Mulry SJ and Fr Walter Hogan SJ, both of whom
stressed the social teachings of the Catholic Church, Ed Nolasco spent more
than 50 years of his life organizing and advocating the cause of Filipino
workers, fighting with them for just compensation and humane work
conditions. From organizing trade unions to campaigning for labor reform
legislation to providing legal, technical and organizational assistance to
labor unions, Ka Ed, as he came to be known, completely lived out his
commitment to social justice and equality.

In his response to the Lux in Domino, he said, “As I prepare myself for the
final Commencement Exercise at the end of my earthly life, I take strength
in the prayer of St. Ignatius. ‘All that I have, all that I have been, all
that I have become are not my own. You have given these to me. And to you,
Lord, I return it.’ ” Please read the complete transcript of his moving
response at this link:

http://www.ateneo.edu/response-mr-edmundo-nolasco

Dr Nolasco is being waked at Loyola Memorial Park, Marikina. The Funeral
Mass will be at the Immaculate Conception Chapel (College Chapel), Gonzaga
Hall, Loyola Schools, on Friday, 11 August 2017 at 9:00 am. Interment shall
be at Loyola Memorial Park, Marikina.

Please keep Ed Nolasco and his family in your prayers. Let us warmly
remember and celebrate the life of this great man and Atenean, *ad majorem
Dei gloriam*

Jose Ramon T Villarin SJ

Office of the President
Ateneo de Manila University