[Blueboard] Glimpses: One Writer’s Journey: A Lecture and Reading by Luis H. Francia

Department of English [LS] english.soh at ateneo.edu
Wed Apr 19 10:35:02 +08 2017

The Departments of English and Fine Arts will host “Glimpses: One Writer’s
Journey,” a lecture and reading by Luis H. Francia, Visiting Faculty of the
Ateneo de Manila University for the Second Semester of SY 2016-2017. The
event will be on Apr. 25, 2017, 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., at Faura AVR,
Ateneo de Manila University. The event is open to the public.

Francia describes the event as follows: “After briefly giving an overview
of my work, I shall read a selection of my works, both creative nonfiction
and poetry, to give the audience a pretty good idea of how, what, and why I
write. For nonfiction, I will read from Eye of the Fish: A Personal
Archipelago (2001) and from RE: Recollections, Reviews, Reflections (2015).
For poetry, I shall read from Museum of Absences, Tattered Boat and some
new works. Afterwards, Francis C. Sollano and I will have a conversation
about my work, which can then segue into a Q & A with the audience.”

About Luis H. Francia

A Palanca Poetry Prize winner, Luis H. Francia’s latest poetry volume is
Tattered Boat (2014). Previous collections include The Arctic Archipelago
and Other Poems, Museum of Absences, and The Beauty of Ghosts. He has
published two collections of essays, Memories of Overdevelopment (1998) and
RE (2015), the latter awarded the 2016 National Book Award for Best Essays
in English. In 2002, he won both the PEN Open Book and the Asian American
Writers literary awards for Eye of the Fish: A Personal Archipelago. He is
in the Library of America’s Becoming Americans: Four Centuries of Immigrant
Writing. A member of the New York Writers Workshop, he has conducted
writing workshops at the City University of Hong Kong, the St. Mark’s
Poetry Project, and the Iowa Writers Summer Workshop. A humanities graduate
of Ateneo de Manila University, he teaches at New York University and at
Hunter College.

About Francis C. Sollano

Francis C. Sollano is an instructor in the Department of English, Ateneo de
Manila University where he also obtained his MA Literary and Cultural
Studies. He received the Best Graduate Thesis Award from the School of
Humanities in 2015 for his work, “Writing a Personal Archipelago: Filipino
American Identity as an Ethopoetic Substance in Luis H. Francia’s Eye of
the Fish.” He is also part of the editorial team of Kritika Kultura, the
online journal of language, literary, and cultural studies of the
Department of English, Ateneo de Manila University.

--
Department of English
School of Humanities
Email: english.soh at ateneo.edu