[Blueboard] Thesis Defense of Ms. Isabela Laura Lacuna

Department of English [LS] english.soh at ateneo.edu
Fri Apr 7 15:30:44 PHT 2017

MS. ISABELA LAURA LACUNA

MA Literary and Cultural Studies candidate

will defend her thesis entitled "TYPHOON TROPOLOGY: THE STORM IN TAGALOG
FOLK LITERATURE," on April 18, 2017 (Tuesday), 2:00 p.m. at English
Department Meeting Room, G/F de la Costa Hall.

Panel of Examiners:

Dr. Francis Navarro, Department of History, ADMU

Dr. Maria Luisa Reyes, Department of English, ADMU

Dr. Alvin Yapan, Kagawaran ng Filipino, ADMU

Thesis Adviser:

Dr. J Pilapil Jacobo, Kagawaran ng Filipino, ADMU

The thesis defense is open to the public.

Abstract:

This thesis is preoccupied with approaching a folk Tagalog definition of
the phenomenon commonly known as the “storm.” Contemporary discourse is
often overwhelmed by scientific and economic analyses that trope violent
weather in a particular way, which often disregards historical, cultural,
and literary knowledges regarding the event that might otherwise enrich and
broaden our understanding of this tropical reality. If this thesis finds
the imposition of Western scientific frameworks on Tagalog reality
problematic, then it situates its central concern in historicizing and
re-reading the trope in its earliest iteration in the Tagalog folk
imagination in order to arrive at an interpretation that is contrapuntal to
the dominant definition of the phenomenon. In a summative gesture, we might
say the primary focus of this thesis is to attempt to present an
alternative, but by no means definitional, understanding of the storm that
returns, in some way, to older knowledges that have been effaced by
colonial discourse.Through a deconstructive reading of Tagalog folk
literature, I begin with an analysis of tropes extant in pre-Hispanic texts
(which include riddles, tanagas, and definitions in Noceda and Sanlucar’s
vocabulario), trace their reformation and deformation upon contact with
colonial presence (through the legends of the Virgen del Rosario, the awit
of Bernardo Carpio, and through the poem “May Bagyo Ma’t May Rilim”), and
propose a kind of Tagalog “remaining,” a stance that is not simply a
passive endurance of an event, but a tropic response to situations that are
“extreme” and “extraordinary,” or those occurrences that cannot be
comprehended by the logic of the quotidian. “Remaining,” in this thesis, is
both a resistance to the wounds perpetually inflicted by different kinds of
storms, but at the same time, also the commitment to our own kind of
exceptional woundedness, or own kind of stormed-ness. In the end, this
thesis does not propose the possibility of a future without catastrophe,
but the aspiration for a present wherein the unbearable might be both
believed and known to be bearable.

--
Department of English
School of Humanities