[Blueboard] Invitation to a Professorial Lecture by Dr. Agustin Martin Rodriguez

Trixia Maye T. Fernando tfernando at ateneo.edu
Tue Oct 18 13:33:17 PHT 2016

*The Office of the Associate Dean for Research and Creative Work *
*and the **University Research Council invite you to*

*The Filipino Researcher at the End of Life as We Know It*

Professorial Lecture by Dr. Agustin Martin Rodriguez

27 October 2016, 4:30PM-6:00PM

Faber Hall, Ground Floor

SIGN UP HERE! <https://goo.gl/forms/rTfykLlqKr9NmUw33>

With the multiple threats of global warming, the end of oil, the impending
shortages in our water supplies, and the seeming end of liberal
democracies, what is the role of the Filipino thinker at the end of life as
we know it? Our training orients us toward the kind of research that
furthers and promotes a dominant, global system that in many ways has been
responsible for global poverty and the massive global crises that we are
facing. As thinkers from colonized rationalities who are trained in the
ways of the West and yet are able to dwell in and discourse with
traditional lifeworlds, we have a special vocation. We are mediators
between a dominant global world order that benefits a few and a traditional
world of the marginalized. We are able to speak the language of commerce
and science, of governance and technology, as we can recognize the
potential wisdom of the language of babaylan and the spirits of the waters.
Being these people, placed in this unique position, we are called to enrich
the dominant, myopic rationality as the world it created threatens the
well-being of all it encompasses.

***Agustin Martin G. Rodriguez, PhD is a professor of philosophy of the
Loyola Schools of the Ateneo de Manila. He has been a research fellow of
the Institute of Philippine Culture and a consultant of the World Bank and
Helvetas Philippines. He has published nationally and internationally in
journals of philosophy, political science, ethnography, and sociology. He
is the author of various multidisciplinary books on governance and poverty,
as well as the environment. He has also published poetry and fiction in
various journals.

This event is made possible with the support of the Office of the
President, School of Humanities, and the Department of Philosophy.

This event is open to the public and admission is free. Light refreshments
will be served. Please confirm your attendance HERE!
<https://goo.gl/forms/rTfykLlqKr9NmUw33>
--

*Thank You & God Bless!Regards, *
*Trix*

*-*
*Trixia Maye T. Fernando*
Office Staff
Office of Associate Dean for Research and Creative Work
Ateneo de Manila University
Telephone: 426 6001 local 5049
Mobile: +63 949 883 0998