[Blueboard] General Congregation 36

Office of the President [OP] president at ateneo.edu
Mon Oct 3 14:12:16 PHT 2016

​[image: Inline image 1]

Memo to         :           The University Community

Subject            :           General Congregation 36

The 36th General Congregation (GC 36) of the Society of Jesus will begin on
Monday, 3 October 2016. The General Congregation is an assembly of Jesuit
representatives from all over the world and is the supreme governing body
of the Society. There have only been 35 such congregations since Ignatius
Loyola founded the order 476 years ago. GC 36 was convoked when Fr Adolfo
Nicolás, the Society’s Superior General since 2008, announced in December
2014 his intention to resign.

As electors choose Fr Nicolás’ successor and discuss other matters integral
to the life and work of the Society, I request your prayers for the
Society, especially for the Jesuit delegates at the congregation, that they
may have the openness to hear God’s Spirit and live for the greater glory
of His name, as the official prayer for GC 36 invokes.

The discussions at GC 36 and its outcomes will be relevant to our own
mission as a Jesuit university. Therefore, I would also like to encourage
everyone to keep abreast of developments at GC 36 by regularly visiting its
website at http://gc36.org/.

ad majorem Dei gloriam.

Jose Ramon T Villarin SJ

Office of the President