[Blueboard] Fuchsia is the new Blue: Ateneo team Fuchsia Moth competes in the ACM ICPC World Finals

Ma. Mercedes T. Rodrigo didith.rodrigo at gmail.com
Sat May 21 15:35:15 PHT 2016

The Department of Information Systems and Computer Science is pleased to
announce that Fuchsia Moth, the team composed of

David Martin Cuajunco (3 BSM AMF)
Kyle Stephen See (4 BSMS CS)
Jose Enrico Tiongson (3 BS CS)
Vernon Gutierrez (Coach)

ranked 85th out of 128 in the recently-concluded ACM International
Collegiate Programming Competition held in Phuket, Thailand on May 19,
2016. Considered the Olympics of programming, the Association of Computing
Machinery International Collegiate Programming Competition (ACM ICPC) is a
two-tier competition:  Teams must win at the regional level in order to
earn a berth at the World Finals. Teams who do not win at the regionals but
still rank well may be awarded a “wild card slot” at the World Finals at
the discretion of a committee made up of the regional contest site
directors.

This year, Fuchsia Moth was awarded one of these wild card slots. This is
the first time in 10 years that the Ateneo made it to the World Finals.
Fuchsia Moth slugged it out against some of the highest ranking
universities in the world, including Harvard, the National University of
Singapore, and the University of Tokyo.  In the end, they solved 4 out of
13 problems, beating teams from the University of Chicago, the University
of Virginia, Caltech, Carnegie Mellon, the University of British Columbia
and others.  For details, please consult the following links:

Final scoreboard: https://icpc.baylor.edu/scoreboard/

Problem set: https://icpc.baylor.edu/worldfinals/problems/icpc2016.pdf

For having made our participation possible, we thank the many individuals
and offices who have supported our Programming Varsity: past coaches
Janssen Marwin L. Go, John Paul Vergara, Jon Fernandez, Pablo Manalastas,
John Boaz Lee, Jong Wong, Mike Ybanez; our team managers Ma. Mercedes T.
Rodrigo, Jessica O. Sugay, and David Diy; the Ateneo Laboratory for the
Learning Sciences; the Department of Information Systems and Computer
Science faculty, administration, and staff; the Office of the
Vice-President for the Loyola Schools; the Office of the President; and the
Office of University and Global Relations.

We also thank our alumni sponsors: Miguel Arguelles, Zoe Brillantes, Paul
Ignatius Echevarria, Globe Telecom, Vernon Gutierrez, Yasmeen Khaleeli,
Jaeyoun Kim, Neill Li, Martin Lorenzo, Kimberly Anne Martin, Jino Noel,
Jaren Ryan Rex, Gabby Sanchez, Arlyne Santos, Emanuel Joseph Saringan,
Debbie Tan, Paulo Tioseco, Sally Vy De la Cerna, William Emmanuel Yu, and
other donors who wish to remain anonymous.

Thank you all! Thank you and congratulations, Fuchsia Moth!