[Blueboard] Invitation to the MS Thesis Defense of Ms. Ana Katrina Mapanao (MS CH)

Gina B. Mamauag gmamauag at ateneo.edu
Wed May 11 15:35:14 PHT 2016

​The Department of Chemistry

School of Science and Engineering

Invites you to the MS Thesis Defense of

*Ms. Ana Katrina Mapanao *

*MS Chemistry*

*Title:*  *“**THE EFFECTS OF THREE PHILIPPINE MEDICINAL PLANT EXTRACTS ON
VIABILITY AND DIFFERENTIATION OF HUMAN MESENCHYMAL STEM CELLS.**”*

*Panelists:*

Fabian Dayrit, PhD

Merab Chan, PhD

Olivia Erin Buenafe, PhD

*Adviser:*

Nina Rosario L. Rojas, PhD

*Date:* 16 May 2016

*Time:*  1:00 pm

*Venue*: C205, Schmitt Hall

*Thesis Abstract:*

*Stem cells are unspecialized cells with the capacity to proliferate and
differentiate into various kinds of tissues. Controlling stem cell
viability, growth, and differentiation has been the focus of many research
as this may improve the applications of stem cells. The objective of this
study was to investigate the effects of Vitex negundo (Lagundi or
five-leaved chaste tree), Ipomoea batata (Kamote or sweet potato), and
Kalanchoe pinnata (Katakataka or cathedral bells) on the viability and
differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells derived from bone marrow
aspirates (BM-MSC) and adipose tissue (AT-MSC).  It was discovered that
after 24 hours of incubation, the cells remained viable at certain
concentration ranges of the extracts. Among the samples, the cultures on I.
batata extracts had the highest cell viability. Relative cell viability in
the presence of the extracts ranged from 60 to 80%. The working
concentrations that were used for the differentiation assays were 60µg/mL
for V. negundo, 200µg/mL for I. batata, and 30µg/mL for K. pinnata. When
tested on the differentiation potentials of BM-MSC and AT-MSC, results
showed that K. pinnata and V. negundo were able to improve calcium
mineralization and decrease lipid deposition after four weeks of
incubation. In conclusion, this study illustrated the possible applications
of I. batata extract for regulating cell viability, and V. negundo and K.
pinnata extracts for controlling the osteogenic differentiation of BM-MSC
and AT-MSC.*

product extracts, bone marrow, adipose tissue*​

*Gina Mamauag-Buan*

*Chemistry Department*
*Ateneo de Manila University*