[Blueboard] May 06, 2016 University Mass: One Big Vote for Democracy, Human Rights, Social Justice and Sustainable Development

Office of the Vice President for the Loyola Schools [LS] vployola at ateneo.edu
Thu May 5 10:02:18 PHT 2016

As part of our discernment process in preparation for the coming elections,
there will be a University Mass on Friday, May 6, 2016 at 10:00 a.m., at
the Church of the Gesu.  The Eucharistic Celebration will be an occasion to
reflect on the elections in relation to the theme that upholds our social
values as a University: "One Big Vote for Democracy, Human Rights, Social
Justice and Sustainable Development".

We invite all sectors of the Loyola Schools - administration, faculty,
staff, maintenance, students and alumni who have time to spare - to come
and join the communal prayer.

The Eucharistic Celebration will also be an occasion for a reunion with
some members of basic sectors of society, particularly the Sumilao farmers
from Bukidnon, with whom we have stood in the past in their struggle for
social justice.  The Sumilao farmers were welcomed and supported by the
Ateneo de Manila University community in 2007 in their successful "Walk for
Land" from Bukidnon to Manila which enabled them to recover 144 hectares of
their ancestral land.  This time, they are in Manila to thank candidates
who helped them in their 2007 walk.  (Our welcome for the Sumilao farmers
is not necessarily an endorsement of their favored candidates.)

Father Jose Ramon T. Villarin, SJ, University President, will be the main
celebrant, with Fr. Norberto Bautista, SJ, University Chaplain, as
concelebrant.

Thank you.