[Blueboard] Ignacio de Loyola: Graded A

Dit G. Sablan esablan at admu.edu.ph
Thu Jul 28 15:34:36 PHT 2016

*Ignacio de Loyola gets grade of “A” from the Cinema Evaluation Board**
*

*Director urges audience to “fight” for Filipino films*

Ignacio de Loyola, the epic motion picture about the life of St.
Ignatius of Loyola, received a grade of “A” from the Cinema Evaluation
Board (CEB). This entitles the film produced by Jesuit Communications
Philippines (JesCom)  and co-presented by the Jesuit Conference of Asia
Pacific (JCAP) and One Meralco Foundation to a 100 percent tax rebate.

After the CEB preview conducted on July 26, Tuesday, seven out of the
eight members present voted to give Ignacio de Loyola an “A.”

Ignacio de Loyola, an English-language film made by Filipino filmmakers
headed by writer-director Paolo Dy, stars Spanish actor Andreas Muñoz in
the title role. Over the past weekend, two successful premieres were
held: the premiere with the live orchestra scoring by the ABS-CBN
Philharmonic at Solaire on July 23, and the invitational premiere at
Gateway. Both events generated a harvest of good reviews for the film.

Former president Noynoy Aquino, who watched at the live orchestra
premiere at Solaire, said, “It is very well done and very thought
provoking.” Aiza Seguerra felt bouyant after watching the premiere at
Gateway as she said, “Sarap ng pakiramdam na ang ganitong kalidad ng
pelikula ay masasabing Pinoy-made!”

Newsman Raffy Tima (who watched the film at Gateway with his wife,
reporter Mariz Umali) tweeted, “(It’s) one of the best Filipino films to
date.”

Artist Robert Alejandro immediately sent congratulations to producer Pol
Mangilog-Saltarin, telling her of his reaction. He said, “It was
amazing! Incredibly ambitious and you pulled it off!”

Ignacio de Loyola opened in 56 theaters on July 27.

But with his film having the same playdate as a Hollywood franchise and
a romantic film from a major studio, director Paolo Dy is concerned
about the chances of Ignacio de Loyola at the box-office. In a statement
that he posted on Facebook, Dy urged moviegoers to watch now for the
movie to have a shot at staying in the cinemas. He said, “The truth is
that just like any other Filipino film, the first two days of screening
will determine the fate of its theatrical run. And the truth is that
some films don’t even last until the opening weeend.”

Dy compared the audience to warriors and heroes who must fight for
Filipino films. Here’s his statement in full:

“So here's the truth.

The truth is, you may not be able to see Ignacio de Loyola this weekend.

The truth is that just like any other Filipino film, the first two days
of screening will determine the fate of its theatrical run. And the
truth is that some films don’t even last until the opening weekend.

The truth is that every Filipino film needs to be fought for. It needs
warriors, and it needs heroes.

We are asking you to be our heroes. Please come and watch this film in
the theaters TODAY. Please bring along your family, your friends, your
companions in community, at work, in school. Call up your mom, your
sister, your best friend from school, an uncle or aunt you haven’t
spoken to in years, and make a date to watch 'Ignacio de Loyola.'

In fact, please invite the very next person who messages you or comments
on your latest Facebook post. You never know — it might be someone whose
soul needs to hear what this film has to say.

My incredibly talented and dedicated team has fought and bled and
sacrificed so much to bring this story to the screen for you. I honor
them with this plea: come and see what their hands and hearts and minds
have wrought. Two hours in a nice air-conditioned cinema is not much to
give up, to let them know that their work has been worth it.

And more than anything, come and see it for what it is: a human story,
the story of one man’s struggle to rise above a crushing defeat and find
another path to happiness.

It is a story that has played out in many people’s lives — certainly
many times in my own life, and, I’m sure, in yours.

Because the simple truth is this: today, we are all Ignacio de Loyola.

Come and fight by our side.”

Visit Jesuit Communications at www.jescom.ph
Like us on facebook

Dit G. Sablan
426-5971 loc. 121

“Dont wish it were easier, Wish you were BETTER
Dont wish for fewer problems, Wish for more SKILLS
Dont wish for less challenges, Wish for more WISDOM ”
- Earl Shaof