[Blueboard] EDSA at 30

Office of the President [OP] president at ateneo.edu
Tue Feb 16 09:53:08 PHT 2016

​[image: Inline image 1]

Memo to         :           The University Community

Subject            :           EDSA at 30

Let us come together to remember and celebrate the epiphany that happened
30 years ago on EDSA. EDSA was a revelation to the world and to ourselves
of who we are as a people. It was a genuine achievement of the Filipino
people.

The Ateneo de Manila joins all freedom-loving people in commemorating that
momentous surge of our people’s courage, determination and action against
dictatorship, which took a decisive turn when Ninoy Aquino was assassinated
in 1983 and which culminated in the EDSA People Power upheaval in 1986.

Let our remembering and gathering lead us to rededicate ourselves to
rebuilding our nation and serving our people. Let us not allow the
imperfections, limitations, missed opportunities and even betrayals that
followed EDSA 1986 to blur the collective desire for deliverance that was
EDSA. This was truly a popular victory, a transformative event that was
both personal and communal. We cannot yield to those who would tempt us to
believe that the grace of deliverance that was EDSA has all been in vain.

It is indeed timely that this 30th anniversary of EDSA occurs when direct
political action is to be taken anew by the citizenry in electing, in just
a few months, our next set of leaders. I enjoin everyone to take part in
various activities that we are organizing to celebrate the true spirit of
EDSA People Power and to help us vote wisely and selflessly this May.

Let the spirit of EDSA fortify our resolve to recommit ourselves to
building our people and nation. Let this same spirit provide a critical
lens for focusing our discernment and political action.

amdg,

Jose Ramon T Villarin SJ

Office of the President
Ateneo de Manila University