[Blueboard] Erratum: Alumni awardees from the School of Science and Engineering

Victoria M. Cabason vcabason at ateneo.edu
Thu Dec 1 10:46:34 PHT 2016

The School of Science and Engineering congratulates two of its alumni for
the recognition they received in their respective fields.

*Ronald Allan L. Cruz*

*Ron Cruz*, BS Biology graduate of 2002, and Assistant Professor in the
Department of Biology, won the *Best Book on Science award* at the 35th
National Book Awards.

He was awarded for the book *The Cosmic Wild: Biology of Science
Fiction,* published
by the Ateneo de Manila University Press in 2014.  The awards are handed
out yearly by the National Book Development Board and the Manila Critics
Circle. The awarding ceremonies were held on November 26, 2016 at the
National Museum Auditorium in Manila.

Lou Sabrina Saavedra Ongkiko

Sab Ongkiko, BS Biology graduate of 2005, was one of  *The Outstanding
Women in the Nation's Service *Awardees for 2016.  The TOWNS Foundation
presented the eight recipients with the prestigious award on Thursday,
November 10, at Dusit Thani Manila, Makati City.

Below is an excerpt from the *TOWNS Foundation*, Inc on Sab Ongkiko's award:

"Sabrina Ongkiko is a public school teacher who has dedicated her work to
giving Filipino children the education they deserve. Outside her classroom,
she also contributed to policy making at the the Department of Education
(DepEd), like the School Improvement Plan and Continuous Improvement
Program.

She said, "*Para sa akin, ang pinakaambag ko bilang guro ay ang paghubog sa
isip at puso ng kabataang Pilipino.*" (For me, the biggest contribution I
have as a teacher is my ability to shape the mind and heart of the Filipino
youth.)

Ongkiko also advocates teacher empowerment by telling their experiences in
public schools. She wants society to know that public school teachers do
not only have stories of difficulties but also of hard work, hope, and
love. She is sometimes tapped by DepEd to provide training for other
teachers."
Congratulations, Ron and Sab!  We are proud of you!

--
Victoria M. Cabason
Assistant to the Dean