[Blueboard] Invitation to a Special Lecture: "A Return to the Korean Turn: Continuing Reflections on a Televisual Phenomenon in the Philippines"

Sarah Jane O. Domingo sdomingo at ateneo.edu
Sat Sep 5 13:15:54 PHT 2015

AIKS invites the LS community to a special lecture, entitled,

"A Return to the Korean Turn: Continuing Reflections on a Televisual
Phenomenon in the Philippines"

by Louie Jon A. Sánchez, Department of English, Ateneo de Manila University

Date: Sept 10, 2015 / 4:30-6:00PM
Venue: MMR Batch 83, Rizal Library

In this lecture, the speaker will recall his earlier formulation of the
"Korean Turn" as typifying current televisual experiences in the
Philippines, particularly in local teleseryes. The reflection will propose
new perspectives about this cultural turn and project its directions.

About the lecturer
Louie Jon A. Sánchez is the author of two poetry collections in Filipino,
At Sa Tahanan ng Alabok (Manila: U of Santo Tomas Publishing House, 2010),
a finalist in the Madrigal Gonzales Prize for Best First Book, and Kung
Saan Sa Katawan (Manila: U of Santo Tomas Publishing House, 2013), a
finalist in the National Book Awards Best Poetry Book in Filipino category;
and a book of creative nonfiction, Pagkahaba-haba man ng Prusisyon: Mga
Pagtatapat at Pahayag ng Pananampalataya (Quezon City: U of the Philippines
P, forthcoming). He teaches literature, writing, and popular culture at the
Department of English, Ateneo de Manila University. In 2014, he opened a
benchmarking undergraduate elective on the “Teleserye,” the first to solely
study the Philippine soap opera.

"내려갈때 봤네 올라갈때 보지 못 한 그 꽃 -- 고은 詩"

*[That flower which I could not see as I went up I saw when I went down -
Go Eun]*