[Blueboard] KK Lecture Series presents Vicente L. Rafael on the Philippine Revolution

Department of English [LS] english.soh at ateneo.edu
Thu Sep 3 14:37:19 PHT 2015

Kritika Kultura, the international refereed journal of language, literary,
and cultural studies of the Department of English, Ateneo de Manila
University—in cooperation with the Rizal Library and the Department of
History—will host a lecture by Vicente L. Rafael titled “How Revolutionary
was the Philippine Revolution?” The lecture will be on Sept. 9, 2015, 4:30
p.m. to 6:00 p.m., at 4/f Rizal Library, Ateneo de Manila University.

Rafael’s lecture aims to outline ”a comparative view of nationalist
history, especially with regard to the most crucial of events in the
nation’s history, the Revolution of 1896-1902.” More precisely, the talk
“examines some of the more recent works on the Philippine Revolution and
raises a number of questions about the orthodox nationalist understanding
of its key events. Did the death of Bonifacio and triumph of Aguinaldo in
1897 represent a rupture in the movement? Was the Malolos Republic a break
from or a continuation of the Katipunan? What was the relationship between
the political and social aspects of the Revolution? Did Malolos represent a
repudiation or a consolidation of the social changes and political forms
put in place by the Spanish colonial regime? How did US colonial rule
defeat as much as defend the gains at Malolos? How can we think of the
Revolution in comparative terms, for example, in relation to the creole
revolutions of the Americas? Finally, how does a reconsideration of the
revolution as less than revolutionary affect the way we think of Filipino
heroes and the notion of heroism as such, along with the very ‘we’ that
asks these questions?”

Vicente L. Rafael graduated from Ateneo de Manila University, class of
1977. He is professor of history at the University of Washington, Seattle
and is the author of the forthcoming book *Motherless Tongues: The
Insurgency of Language Amid Wars of Translation* (Duke University Press).

--
Department of English
School of Humanities
Email: english.soh at ateneo.edu