[Blueboard] Centenary of the Birth of Fr Horacio V de la Costa SJ

Office of the President [OP] president at ateneo.edu
Mon Oct 19 17:30:23 PHT 2015

​[image: Inline image 1]

Memo to         :           The University Community

Subject            :           Centenary of the Birth of Fr Horacio V de la
Costa SJ

Fr Horacio de la Costa (1916-1977) was the first Filipino Jesuit
provincial, a nationalist and eminent historian, a defender of the
humanities who, in the early years of his life as Atenean, wrote poems,
essays, and plays. His death in 1977 at the age of sixty cut short a
well-lived life of elucidating interrelated facets of faith, culture and
history through his voluminous writing.

As we approach the centenary of his birth on 9 May 2016, I encourage the
University community to enter into dialogue with this great Jesuit
historian. Let us rediscover the lessons, insights and words of wisdom
embedded in his writing. Let us return to the past to illumine our present
and find our passage to the future.

But even as we retrieve the voice from the past, let us come together as a
community to allow his ideas to resonate with us, especially among the
younger generation of Ateneans.  Let us celebrate Fr De La Costa and his
life by conducting commemorative gatherings that enable us to walk with him
once more. Let us remember to thank God for his life, his abiding faith,
and true genius.

I have requested the School of Humanities (SOH) to take the lead in this
celebration. The School has already lined up a series of centennial
activities, e.g. a lecture series in the second semester, an exhibit of De
la Costa’s writing and memorabilia, a visual presentation of his literary
and dramatic works. I am certain the other units, in coordination with the
SOH, can tap the diverse talents of their faculty and students in coming up
with creative projects for this centennial celebration.

For sixty years, de la Costa lived and enabled generations of Filipinos to
make sense of their lives. Let our commemoration of his centenary be
something that strengthens our sense of identity and mission even further.

ad majorem Dei gloriam,

Jose Ramon T Villarin SJ

Office of the President
Ateneo de Manila University