[Blueboard] Fwd: Invitation to ACERD-Dept of Economics Lecture on Oct. 30

Department of Economics [LS] economics.soss at ateneo.edu
Fri Oct 16 08:17:02 PHT 2015

​The Ateneo Center for Economic Research and Development (ACERD) of the
Department of Economics would like to invite you to the lecture-discussion
of

KENNETH ANTHONY LUIGI S. REYES
University of the Philippines

​on

​*Taxation in the Philippines during the American Period, 1898 - 1941*

This will be on October 30, 2015, Friday, 4:30 - 5:30 pm, Department of
Economics Conference Room.

​ABSTRACT

This paper explores several aspects of the Philippine tax system during the
American colonial period. After providing the economic and political
background of the period under study, we present an overview of the various
fiscal issues facing the colonial government. Despite considerable non-tax
activity, particularly during the 1921 crisis, taxes are shown to have
maintained a significant role in the public budget. We then focus on three
specific issues: tariffs, internal revenues, and fiscal decentralization.
These analyses are supported by primary data compiled from government
reports, the most salient of which are documented in the appendices for use
in future research.