[Blueboard] The Modernities and Democracies of Asia

Rizza Antonette L. Papina apapina at ateneo.edu
Fri Nov 13 18:17:14 PHT 2015

​
The Department of Philosophy presents

*ASIAN ASSOCIATION OF CHRISTIAN PHILOSOPHERS*

*The Modernities and Democracies of Asia*

 Round Table Conference 2015

 17-18 November 2015

Faber Hall, Ateneo de Manila University

The Asian Association of Christian Philosophers holds an annual conference
with a theme that gathers academics from Asia to think philosophically
about the questions that are most pressing to the people of this region.
These are questions on realities that shape the flourishing of the Asian
peoples and their neighbors which Asia based intellectuals ought to write
about in order to enrich the discourse that shapes their collective
becoming. For this year’s conference, the organizers are gathering a select
group of scholars to write papers on the modernities and democracies of
Asia.

With the firm establishment of globalization and the inevitable creation of
a world community that involves Asia in the spread of the global market, in
the catastrophe of global warming, in the deepening of inequality, and the
possible leadership of this continent in this century, we ask how Asia has
shaped and adapted to the modernization of the world.

Without a doubt, the West has imposed forms of enterprise, governance,
style, and consumption upon the world. It has brought to the East its
systems of valuation and knowing. Its academic systems, scientific
methodologies, and technological procedures have defined the ethos of
contemporary human existence.Given the potential rise of Asia as the next
center of economic development and world governance, it is imperative to
reflect on the question of how the different peoples of this continent have
engaged modernity. We are holding this round table to give scholars the
opportunity to take stock of our creative response to modernization and how
this has shaped our own flourishing as peoples and nations.

Open to public.

For interested parties, please call Mr. Paulo Justiniano at (632) 426 6001
loc. 5360 to 5361, or email jjustiniano at ateneo.edu