[Blueboard] Invitation to Dr. Jeffrey Reid's seminar at the Manila Observatory on Monday, August 10, 10:00 a.m.

Maria Obiminda L. Cambaliza mcambaliza at ateneo.edu
Thu Aug 6 14:25:49 PHT 2015

As part of the year-long celebration of its 150th anniversary, the Manila
Observatory (MO) cordially invites the Ateneo community to Dr. Jeffrey
Reid's seminar on "Biomass Burning Observability and Predictability in the
Maritime Continent" on Monday, *August 10, 10:00 a.m. at MO's Heyden Hall*.
The abstract is found below.

Dr. Reid is an aerosol scientist and meteorologist in the US Naval Research
Laboratory.  He currently works in the field of aerosol observability with
emphasis on regional aerosol environments and aerosol data assimilation.
As a veteran of numerous field campaigns, Dr. Reid is the mission scientist
for the 7 Southeast Asian Studies (7SEAS), an international collaboration
that aims to understand the Southeast Asian Aerosol environment and its
potential impact on the Earth System.

Light snacks will be served at 9:30 A.M.

Please RSVP to mcambaliza at ateneo.edu by Friday, August 7.

Many thanks,

Manila Observatory Air Quality Dynamics Program  and

Ateneo Physics Department

-------------------------------

Title:
Biomass Burning Observability and Predictability in the Maritime Continent

Abstract:
Since 2009, seasonal field campaigns have been conducted by the 7 Southeast
Asian Studies (7SEAS) project throughout the Maritime Continent to study
the lifecycle and meteorological impacts of aerosol particles. However
given the complex interactions between air, land and sea in the region,
aerosol impact studies are significantly confounded by a host of
meteorological phenomena. These lead to a host of challenges towards the
observation and prediction of biomass burning emissions, their lifecycle,
and potential climate impacts.   At the same time, aerosol and other
compositional studies add a new perspective on atmospheric processes. In
this presentation we briefly outline aerosol lifecycle connections to the
phases of ENSO, IOD, and the MJO as observed in measurements made through
networks and intensive operations periods. Our focus is on the implications
for our ability to monitor the environment as well as the ramification of
these observations on aerosol-cloud relationships at more regional and
local levels.  Connections between the MJO and tropical cyclone formation
as well as the advection of lower free tropospheric dry layers frame
aerosol-convection relationships. The frequent formation of trans-MC squall
lines and their associated cold pools significantly modifies common
conceptual models of aerosol-cloud-precipitation interaction. We close with
a list of suggested tropical meteorology research topics and questions
which we believe are most relevant to understanding atmospheric composition
in this region.