[Blueboard] Invitation to a Professorial Lecture on Game to Learn? An Examination of Affect and Behavior Of Students Playing Educational Games" by Dr. Ma. Mercedes T. Rodrigo

Dj Andres dandres at ateneo.edu
Thu Aug 6 11:06:12 PHT 2015

The Office of the Associate Dean for Research and Creative Work in
partnership with the University Research Council invites you to

*Game to Learn? An Examination of Affect and Behavior*

*Of Students Playing Educational Games*

Ma. Mercedes T. Rodrigo

Professorial Lecture

27 August 2015, 4:30 to 6:00 PM

5th Floor, New Rizal Library

Digital games are used as carriers of educational content because they are
intrinsically motivating. Educators hypothesize that the interactivity,
fantasy, challenge, and competition that are inherent to games will promote
greater engagement, time-on-task, focus, and therefore achievement than
other educational strategies.  Is this in fact the case?  For the last 9
years, my colleagues and I have been conducting research on the affective
states and behaviors that students exhibit while playing these games.  In
this talk, I will discuss some of our findings regarding regarding student
engagement, confusion, boredom, and off-task behavior.  I will discuss the
incidence and persistence of these affective states and their dynamics over
time.  I will also discuss their relationship with student achievement,
implications on educational game design and personalization. The talk ends
with a discussion of Igpaw: Intramuros, an augmented reality game recently
released by my laboratory, the Ateneo Laboratory for the Learning Sciences.

*Ma Mercedes T. Rodrigo* is a full professor of the Department of
Information Systems and Computer Science and the head of the Ateneo
Laboratory for the Learning Sciences. Her areas of research are artificial
intelligence in education, affective computing, and educational data
mining.  She has and continues to receive research funding from the Ateneo
de Manila, the Department of Science and Technology, the Commission on
Higher Education for work on educational data mining and educational
software development.  She has published extensively in national and
international conferences and journals, mostly in the areas of technology
in education, intelligent tutoring, affective dynamics, and others. In
2011, for Dr. Rodrigo’s work, the Ateneo was named first runner up at both
the National Capital Region and National levels at the CHED Best Higher
Education Institution Research Program.  Dr. Rodrigo was Research and
Creative Work Faculty from 2013 to 2015.  She is a board member of the
Computing Society of the Philippines and an Executive Board member of the
Asia Pacific Society for Computers in Education.

This event is made possible with the support of the Office of the
President, the Department of Information Systems and Computer Science and
the Rizal Library.

This event is open to the public. Light refreshments will be served. Please
confirm your attendance thru https://goo.gl/pOcCHM.

Djoanna Paula C. Andres
Office Staff
Office of Associate Dean for Research and Creative Work
Ateneo de Manila University
Telephone: 426 6001 local 5046
Fax: 426 5663