[Blueboard] 1st Ateneo Center for Asian Studies (ACAS) Graduate Students Symposium - Call for Papers

Ateneo Center for Asian Studies [LS] acas.soss at ateneo.edu
Fri Apr 17 16:07:15 PHT 2015

​

>> Thank you for your assistance and cooperation!
>>

>> Sincerely,​
>>
>> Roy

​
                                            Ateneo de Manila University
ATENEO CENTER FOR ASIAN STUDIES (ACAS)

in cooperation with

Department of Political Science
Chinese Studies Program
Development Studies Program
Japanese Studies Program

*CALL FOR PAPERS*

  *First Postgraduate Student Symposium*

*July 16 and 17, 2015, Faber Hall Function Room*
*Ateneo de Manila University*

 Theme:
*The Asian Village: Challenges, Innovations & Reforms in East and Southeast
Asia from Below*

*Description*

The attempt to explain and study Asia has always been a daunting task due
to its socio-economic and political diversity, rich history and cultural
traditions and its place in both the ancient and modern global landscape.
Much has been written on the region in recent years, but most accounts
focus on formal institutions, structural arrangements including the elites
vis-à-vis single country and single-issue discourses.

However, there is another equally important view of Asia, where voices of
those who has lived through Asia’s greatest challenges and transformations
have dwelled. Their stories of resilience and transformations have
attracted many scholars and policymakers alike to look more closely at Asia
from its very core – the village.

The symposium therefore aims to explore challenges and innovations of the
region from the perspective of local institutions and actors from within.
It uses multidisciplinarity as lens to understand the role, resilience and
transformations of the ‘Asian Village’ as it seeks to balance tradition
with modernization. In addition, this symposium gives premium to the
experiences of those from below such as subnational authorities and
institutions, the marginalized, grassroots movements, and other important
sectors in various Asian communities.

The symposium primarily seeks to answer the question “What is the village’s
place in the study of East and Southeast Asia today?”.  In particular, the
following core questions will be addressed:

   1.

   How can our understanding of ‘Asia from below’ theoretically inform the
   dominant discourses about Asia?
   2.

   To what extent does Asia’s past shape its future’s trajectory in terms
   of both identity and institution building?
   3.

   What new power relations and social cleavages are revealed by homegrown
   innovations and reform enterprises?

Sub-Themes:

   1.

   Local Governance and Delivery Systems
   2.

   Identity, Heritage and Place
   3.

   Indigenous Social and Technological Innovations
   4.

   Local Responses to Human and Natural Disasters

*Who May Submit*

This symposium is organized to promote the study of Asia among young
scholars from the region. It also provides space for young Asianists and
Asian scholars studying in Asian universities to present their work about
and experience living in Asia during these challenging yet promising times.
It is hoped that at the end of the symposium, a network among the
participants will be formalized.

Therefore, priority will be given to postgraduate students who are:

   1.

   Asianist based in East and Southeast Asian universities; and
   2.

   At an advanced stage of their dissertation/thesis writing (currently or
   has already completed collecting data)

*Guidelines for Submission of Paper Proposal*

Postgraduate students should submit an extended abstract (about 800 to
1,000 words) of their proposed paper no later than *17 April 2015*, 5:00
p.m., Manila Time.

The abstract should include:

   1.

   Title of Paper
   2.

   Research Question and Hypothesis (if any)
   3.

   Conceptual Framework
   4.

   Methodological Approach
   5.

   Findings (initial/final)

Papers based only on literature review will not be accepted.

One letter of recommendation from your research supervisor should also be
forwarded along with the Application Form (available for download in this
website) and a short bionote.  Please send your documents to
*acas.soss at ateneo.edu
<acas.soss at ateneo.edu>*.

Decisons regarding acceptance of proposed papers including subsidy requests
will be sent thru email by *01 May 2015*.  Those selected will have to
submit full-length papers, of around 4,000 to 5,000 words in length no
later than *19 June 2015*, 5:00 p.m., Manila Time.

*Slots *
Only a maximum of 20 participants will be selected to participate in the
symposium.

The organizers will shoulder full board and meals for two days, conference
registration fee including kits.

Selected participants are expected to cover for their airfare to and from
Manila, visa costs (when applicable), as well as any travel insurance
required by your home university.

Travel subsidy requests may be accommodated based on the availability of
funds.

For more updates please visit this symposium website regularly:

http://ateneo.edu/ls/soss/acas/events/first-acas-postgraduate-student-symposium

Or you may contact:

Ms. Joy R. Sobremonte
Ateneo Center for Asian Studies
LH 207, 2nd Floor, Ricardo and Dr. Rosita Leong Hall
Ateneo de Manila University, Loyola Heights, Quezon City
Philippines
Telephone no: (632) 426-6001, local 5285 / 5286
Telefax: (632) 926-42-02

Convenors:

Office of the Dean, School of Social Sciences

--

*Meynardo P. Mendoza , Ph.D.*
*Executive Director*

Ateneo Center for Asian Studies
2/F Ricardo & Dr. Rosita Leong Hall,
Loyola Heights, Quezon City, 1108
Tel: (632) 426-6001 loc. 5285/ 5286
Telefax: (632) 926-4202
Office hours: Monday to Friday, 1:00 - 5:00 p.m.
Email: acas.soss at ateneo.edu