[Blueboard] Ateneo Physics News

Quirino Jr. M. Sugon qsugon at ateneo.edu
Wed Oct 15 22:36:52 PHT 2014

Lunar Eclipse Observation at the Manila Observatory, Quezon City
(5:30PM-8:30PM)
By Genie Lorenzo

We climbed up the Manila Observatory (MO) roofdeck, and waited anxiously
for a bit of clearing in the sky and a view of the lunar eclipse. The
clouds were heavy the entire afternoon but we tried to keep our hopes up
even with the unencouraging view, or no-view: if only for the young boy,
Matty, who came in excitedly, with two generations of his family, in a
t-shirt with Moon print, and with binoculars around his small neck. The
partial eclipse (at moonrise) and the start of the total eclipse was not
visible because of the hazy horizon and low clouds. Into the middle of the
total eclipse (around 6:45PM), something was peeping out of the thick
clouds, which we thought could be an airplane. After several minutes, we
realized this was not an airplane, but our eclipsed Moon – all 1/8 of the
Blood Moon visible to us! It had a slight reddish, orange tinge to it.

Read more:
http://ateneophysicsnews.wordpress.com/2014/10/14/total-lunar-eclipse-of-8-october-2014-photos-from-manila-observatory/

--
Dr. Quirino Sugon Jr.

Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, Ateneo de Manila University
Program Manager, Upper Atmosphere Dynamics, Manila Observatory
Phone: 63-2-4266001 local 4850
http://quirinosugonjr.blogspot.com