[Blueboard] Congratulations to Mr Alexis Augusto L Abola (2014 Gintong Aklat Awards)

Remmon Barbaza rbarbaza at ateneo.edu
Wed Oct 8 14:48:35 PHT 2014

The School of Humanities
proudly congratulates

*ALEXIS AUGUSTO L. ABOLA*
Assistant Professor, Department of English
AB Literature (English) 1990

for winning in the Literature in English category of the

*2014 Gintong Aklat Awards*for his book

*Trafficking in Nostalgia: Essays from Memory*

published by the Ateneo de Manila University Press (2012).

​
Here's an excerpt from the book's final piece:

One night at UP’s Balay Kalinaw, when the university press is launching a
fresh batch of books, Jimmy leans on the railing, cigarette in hand.
“What’s the title of your book?” he asks, then takes a drag.

“Trafficking in Nostalgia,” our writer replies. “Tentatively.”

“Nostalgia,” Jimmy says, his face lighting up. “Do you know where that word
comes from? Greek words that mean ‘ache for home.’”

Nostalgia: the ache for home. The nostalgia of writing: the ache for a home
to which one cannot return.The act the utterance, the journey the
destination. What we cannot retrieve we revive in the act of writing,
hoping it will live on in our words. If we cannot return home, we build a
new one hoping it will suffice.

- - -

The award was given by the Book Development Association of the Philippines
on 17 September 2014 at the SMX Convention Center.

Congratulations, Exie!

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/379798/lifestyle/literature/gintong-aklat-awards-honors-outstanding-filipino-book-publishers
​

Remmon E. Barbaza, Ph.D.