[Blueboard] Fund raising letter to DISCS alumni

Office of Alumni Relations alumnirelations at ateneo.edu
Thu Oct 2 10:23:17 PHT 2014

Dear blueboard,

The Department of Information Systems and Computer Science is in the process
of preparing its Programming Varsity teams for the Association of Computing
Machinery International Collegiate Programming Competition (ACM ICPC).  You
may recall that the ACM ICPC is a two-tiered contest: Teams compete at the
regional level for a berth at the world finals.

Upon consultation with our team coaches, we have elected to join the regional
competition in Kuala Lumpur (October 30 to November 2) and Bangkok (November
13 to 16). Our delegation will be composed of the following team members, alternate,
and coaches:

David Martin Cuajunco (2Ma-AMF)

Kyle Stephen Sy (3CS)

Jose Enrico Tiongson (2CS)

Alternate: Hadrian Jules Ang (3CS)

Coach for Kuala Lumpur: John Boaz Lee

Coach for Bangkok: Jessica Sugay

We estimate the cost of our participation (airfare, hotels, meals, local transportation,
and contest fees) at Php260,000.

To raise the needed funds, we write to you, our DISCS alumnus, to ask for your
support.  The Ateneo has a long history of producing some of the best computer
scientists and competitive programmers in the country.  Just last September
6, David, Kyle, and Rico, the same team we are sending to Bangkok and Kuala
Lumpur, won the ACM ICPC National Programming Competition held at the Ateneo
de Naga. They solved all ten (10) contest problems in two (2) hours, a good
three (3) hours before the end of the contest. Unfortunately, National competition
standings do not qualify us for the World Finals.

We invite you to extend your assistance to us so that we may stand shoulder-to-shoulder
with similarly excellent competitive programming teams from other countries.
We would be most grateful for any amount you choose to donate for this purpose.
If you have any questions or clarifications, please feel free to contact our
team manager, Ma. Mercedes T. Rodrigo at mrodrigo at ateneo.edu or 426-6071.
She will be happy to respond to any inquiries.  We thank you in advance for
your support.

Kind regards,

Marlene Mana De Leon, Ph.D.
Chair