[Blueboard] Lecture on Math and Math Education

Editha V. Bagtas ebagtas at ateneo.edu
Mon Nov 24 08:21:58 PHT 2014

*The Ateneo de Manila University*

*Mathematics Department*

*cordially invites you to a talk on*

*Mathematics inside and outside the classroom*

by

*Lee Peng Yee*

National Institute of Education

Nanyang Technological University, Singapore

*on Friday, November 28, 2014*

*4:30 - 6:00 pm at SECB201.*

*Abstract*

Mathematics has changed outside the classroom. What changes should we make
in the classroom? The use of mathematics has also changed outside the
classroom. Are we teaching useful mathematics in the classroom? The changes
in schools in the past 25 years are the teaching approaches. The so-called
e-learning is a part of it. Are we doing the right thing? Now there are
more people learning mathematics outside the department of mathematics than
inside.  Do we need to redefine mathematics, and also mathematician?

 *About the Speaker*

Professor Lee Peng Yee has been in collaboration with many Filipino
mathematicians and mathematics educators in the Philippines for over 40
years already.  He has also advised the dissertations of many Filipinos.
Professor Lee was also a founding member and one of the past presidents of
the Southeast Asian Mathematical Society.