[Blueboard] University News Update, November 21, 2014

Juliana J. Javellana-Santos jjavellana-santos at ateneo.edu
Fri Nov 21 13:41:33 PHT 2014

[image: Screenshot 2014-09-11 10.02.00.png]

The LATEST ON www.ateneo.edu

[image: NEWS.png]

[image: upeace.jpg]

7th batch of Asian Peacebuilders Scholarship Program celebrates graduation
<http://www.ateneo.edu/news/7th-batch-asian-peacebuilders-scholarship-program-celebrates-graduation>

On November 19, 2014, family members, faculty and staff attended the
commencement and closing program for the 7th batch of scholars of the Asian
Peacebuilders Scholarship (APS) Program.

[image: coconutfarmers2_0.jpg]

Ateneans go green in support of the Philippines' coconut farmers
<http://www.ateneo.edu/news/ateneans-go-green-support-philippines-coconut-farmers>

Students of the Ateneo de Manila University are supporting the coconut
farmers’ struggle to receive the P71 billion coco levy fund promised to
them by the Supreme Court in 2012. Seventy-one farmers of KILUS Magniniyog
(KM71) are on their way to Malacañang from Davao to plead with the
President. They will reach the palace on the 71st day of their march.

[image: dayrit-BOT.jpg]

Dayrit named to Ateneo de Manila Board of Trustees
<http://www.ateneo.edu/news/dayrit-named-ateneo-de-manila-board-trustees>

Dr. Fabian M. Dayrit has been named the newest member of the Ateneo de
Manila’s Board of Trustees (BOT). This was announced by University
President Fr. Jett Villarin, SJ in a memo to the University community dated
18 November 2014.

[image: Features.png]

[image: ASMPH Scholars.jpg]

Scholars Society of ASMPH: Looking out for each other
<http://www.ateneo.edu/asmph/news/features/scholars-society-asmph-looking-out-each-other>

As a young boy, Jethri Cruz did not like what he saw in a government
hospital. “A family member had to be brought to the hospital and we had a
bad experience. That incident made me want to become a doctor so I could
help improve the public system,” says Cruz. But medical school fees are
rather expensive that some students give up their dreams, opting instead to
enroll in courses with lower tuition fees.

[image: risk.jpg]

Risk - God’s Word Today by Fr Jose Ramon T Villarin SJ
<http://www.ateneo.edu/news/features/risk-god%E2%80%99s-word-today-fr-jose-ramon-t-villarin-sj>

When I was about four years old, my parents reminded me, my aunt once gave
me a robot. Actually I do remember the robot. It could walk and had these
little red missiles on its back. I remember it because it scared me. It
must have been the robotic way it walked and the weird whirring sounds it
made that were terrifying. And so I kicked it to smithereens when it first
tried to approach me. So much for the gentle and geek in me.

[image: Research.png]

[image: Eaglewatch.jpg]

Wanted in the 2016 polls: A leader for sustained and inclusive growth -
Eaglewatch by Dr. Fernando Aldaba, PhD
<http://www.ateneo.edu/news/research/wanted-2016-polls-leader-sustained-and-inclusive-growth-eaglewatch-dr-fernando-aldaba>

There is now a consensus among Filipino and foreign economists that the
Philippines has shifted to a higher growth level of 6 percent to 6.5
percent. Ceteris paribus, or all other things being equal, we expect this
trend path of the economy to continue for the next six to eight years,
encompassing the period of the next administration.

[image: Anne Candelaria.jpg]

Things going regional? It pays to think local - Blueboard by Anne Candelaria
<http://www.ateneo.edu/ls/soss/political-science/news/research/things-going-regional-it-pays-think-local-blueboard-anne>

This week, heads and other representatives of the 10 Southeast Asian states
attended the 25th ASEAN Summit hosted by the 2014 chair of ASEAN, Myanmar.
The official theme of this year’s chairmanship, “Moving Forward in Unity to
a Peaceful and Prosperous Community,” links the three pillars of ASEAN
Community as embodied in the Bali Concord II -- political-security,
economic and socio-cultural -- neatly.

[image: eaglewatch.jpg]

Are you (pitiful) poor? - Eaglewatch by Dr. Luis F. Dumlao, PhD
<http://www.ateneo.edu/ls/soss/economics/news/research/are-you-pitiful-poor-eaglewatch-dr-luis-f-dumlao-phd>

Economic head Dr. Luis F. Dumlao, PhD writes in his latest column about
what it means to be poor

[image: Sports.png]

[image: Atenean cheerleader.png]

A tradition in transition
<http://www.ateneo.edu/news/sports/tradition-transition>

“FABILIOH. HALIKINU. Sis Boom Bah.” These incomprehensible words have been
chanted for generations by men and women who have witnessed the triumphs
and struggles of those who have donned the blue and white since the days of
Moro Lorenzo. Yet, despite this rich tradition inherited by today’s
generation of Ateneans, the state of the school spirit has been in decline,
a result of the changing times that the Ateneo’s own Blue Babble Battalion
has struggled to adapt to.

[image: WomensFF_0.jpg]

The ladies can ball <http://www.ateneo.edu/news/sports/ladies-can-ball>

The Ateneo Women’s Basketball team improved their record from a single win
last season to finishing with seven wins and seven losses in this year’s
University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP). The Lady Eagles
just missed out on their aim of a Final Four berth, placing fifth behind
the National University, De La Salle University, the University of Santo
Tomas and Far Eastern University.

[image: aikido.jpg]

The Ateneo Aikido Club invites new members of the Ateneo Community to join
the AAC
<http://www.ateneo.edu/news/sports/ateneo-aikido-club-invites-new-members-ateneo-community-join-aac>

The Ateneo Aikido Club is inviting members of the Ateneo community to join
the AAC. New members will be accepted starting the first week of the Second
Semester (November 10-14, 2014).

--
Julie Javellana-Santos
Editorial Head