[Blueboard] Dr Fabian M Dayrit - New Member of the Board of Trustees

Rona Valenzuela mvalenzuela at ateneo.edu
Tue Nov 18 14:52:42 PHT 2014

        [image: Inline image 1]

Memo to         :           The University Community

Subject            :           Dr Fabian M Dayrit - New Member of the Board
of Trustees

​

I am pleased to announce that, at a special meeting of the Ateneo de Manila
Inc held last 5 November 2014, the Corporation elected *Dr Fabian “Toby” M
Dayrit* as new member of the Board of Trustees, for an initial term from
November 2014 to October 2017.

Toby is familiar to us in the University. He has held various
administrative positions in the past, as Dean of the School of Science and
Engineering, 2000 - 2012; founder and first director of the Environmental
Science Program, 1992 – 2000; chairperson of the Chemistry Department, 1986
-1987; and member of the Academic Committee of the Board of Trustees, 1990
- 1998.

We all know that Dr Dayrit is a multi-awarded academic. Some of his awards
include the Award of Excellence in Science & Engineering, Phil Development
Foundation USA, 2010; Academician, National Academy of Science &
Technology, 2009; Special Award, Patnubay ng Sining at Kalinangan
(Chemistry), City of Manila, 2009; Achievement Award for the Chemical
Sciences, National Research Council of the Philippines, 2002; Achievement
Award in Chemistry Education, Philippine Federation of Chemistry Societies,
1995; Outstanding Young Men of the Philippines (TOYM), Phil Jaycees, 1995.

As scholar and researcher, Toby is a pioneer on virgin coconut oil research
and development. He also has a long list of published papers in other areas
such as carrageenan, medicinal plants, nanotechnology, environmental
policy, sustainable development, and the like.

Toby obtained his BS Chemistry degree from Ateneo de Manila University,
1975, *Cum Laude*; MS and PhD Chemistry degrees from Princeton University
in 1978 and 1981 respectively.

On behalf of Ateneo de Manila University, I would like to thank Toby for
his availability and generosity to assume this responsibility of leadership.

As we welcome him to the Board, we are also most grateful to Dr Mari-Jo P
Ruiz for her nine valuable years of service as trustee of the Ateneo de
Manila. Mari-Jo has contributed much to the strategic decisions on our
academic programs, professorial chairs, faculty and staff development,
university awards and recognition systems, among many others.

Jose Ramon T Villarin SJ