[Blueboard] Remembering the victims of typhoon Yolanda and other disasters

Jaime G. Hofilena jghofilena at ateneo.edu
Tue Nov 4 16:33:14 PHT 2014

Fellow members of the Ateneo de Manila community,

Almost a year ago, we - students, staff, faculty, administrators, alumni
and alumnae, parents, and friends of the University - joined millions of
our countrymen and women, as well as many more from around the world,
respond selflessly, charitably and tirelessly to help those ravaged by
typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan).

To date, we continue to support rehabilitation efforts in Culion, Palawan
(by way of building, in collaboration with the Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan
and the Cartwheel Foundation, multi-purpose evacuation/community centers in
four island communities mostly populated by the Tagbanua people and
strengthening community-based livelihood generation) and in Kananga and
Ormoc City, in Leyte (by way of conducting school-based feeding programs
for hundreds of hungry public elementary school children and, in
cooperation with Gawad Kalinga, training volunteers from GK communities who
will each devote many months doing rehabilitation work in Yolanda-stricken
areas).

On this occasion, we rekindle that spirit of volunteerism and generosity.

But more importantly, we remember the Yolanda victims as well as the
victims of all other disasters - from natural and human causes - that have
struck our country in the recent and even distant past.

Please say a prayer for the souls of thousands of departed victims, as well
as for the full rehabilitation of the lives of those who have survived.  If
you can, *offer your attendance at this Friday's noontime mass at the
Immaculate Conception Chapel (aka College Chapel) by way of such prayer*.

For the University,

DISASTER RESPONSE AND MANAGEMENT TEAM
Ateneo de Manila