[Blueboard] Director and Chief Curator of the Ateneo Art Gallery

Rona Valenzuela mvalenzuela at ateneo.edu
Thu Dec 4 14:22:57 PHT 2014

        [image: Inline image 1]

Memo to         :           University Community

Subject            :           Director and Chief Curator of the Ateneo Art
Gallery

I wish to announce that Mr Ramon E S Lerma (Richie) has informed me of his
decision to retire as Director and Chief Curator of the Ateneo Art Gallery
(AAG) effective 3 January 2015.

Richie has been with the AAG for over 15 years and it was under his
leadership and guidance that the AAG grew to its current stature and
prominence. Richie also instituted the Ateneo Art Awards, which is arguably
the most prestigious art competition in the Philippines today. However,
with the expansion and growth of Salcedo Auctions, Richie felt that he
could no longer devote his full time attention to the AAG.

We are pleased that Richie has agreed to continue his involvement with the
University as he returns to the academe, where he will teach and assist in
strengthening the Art Management track of the Fine Arts Program of the
Loyola Schools in the areas of connoisseurship and, with the growth of the
local and international art market, the business of art. He will also be
developing continuing education courses for the Ateneo Professional
Schools, and exploring linkages between the Ateneo and other arts
institutions and organizations to provide students with hands-on and on-the
ground experience that will provide Ateneo students with a competitive edge
globally.

Our search for a new Director is now ongoing and we expect to make an
announcement in due course. We are also in the process of reviewing the
structure of the AAG in order to strengthen its governance and
organization. In the meantime, Yael Borromeo will be Acting Director of the
AAG, concurrent with her present duties as Managing Curator.

On behalf of the Ateneo de Manila, I would like to thank Richie for his
dedicated service as Director and Chief Curator of the AAG for the past 15
years. We also extend our best wishes to him as he takes on another
important mission assignment in the University.

Jose Ramon T Villarin SJ