[Blueboard] Invitation to "The Warmth of the Stove: Designing Spaces As if We Were Humans" on Aug 29

Ateneo Institute of Sustainability [AIS] ais at ateneo.edu
Thu Aug 14 14:50:23 PHT 2014

​
The Ateneo Institute of Sustainability invites everyone to a forum entitled

* "The Warmth of the Stove: Designing Spaces as if We Were Humans"*

Remmon E. Barbaza, Ph.D.
29, August, 2014, 4:30 - 6:00 PM
Faber Hall Function Room.

*Abstract:*
Designing spaces solely or primarily in terms of aesthetic appeal and
technical ingenuity often leaves us cold and disoriented. One fundamental
reason for this, as Alan Borgmann suggests, is the forgetting of “focal
things and practices.” Apart from its obvious connection with orientation,
focus is originally derived from the Latin word that means “domestic
hearth,” that is, the stove. The stove as the source of warmth and the
focal point of human gathering can thus teach us fundamental insights into
our being human, which in turn should inform our design of spaces for
humans—for dwelling, work, study, recreation and every other conceivable
human activity.

Admission is free.

Please pre-register by 27 August, 2014, at bit.ly/Warmthofthestove

For inquiries, please contact Deo Estanislao at 426-6001 loc 4851 or email
us at ais at ateneo.edu.