[Blueboard] Prayer and fasting on 7 September 2013 (Mary's Saturday)

Rona Valenzuela mvalenzuela at ateneo.edu
Fri Sep 6 08:44:33 PHT 2013

[image: Inline image 1]

Memo to      :     The University Community

Subject         :     Prayer and fasting on 7 September 2013 (Mary’s
Saturday)

In solidarity with our shepherd, Pope Francis, whose “heart is deeply
wounded in particular by what is happening in Syria and anguished by the
dramatic developments which are looming,” I would like to invite everyone
to heed his call to offer ourselves in prayer and fasting this Saturday, 7
September 2013, for the cause of “peace in Syria, the Middle East, and
throughout the world.”

Since there is little time to mobilize ourselves as a community, I am
encouraging everyone to find meaningful ways to join themselves with others
(e.g. their friends or family, classmates or orgs or workmates) in making
this offering for the sake of our brothers and sisters who have long been
suffering the scourge of violence and hatred in the Middle East.

Let this simple act of self-denial and prayerful vigil begin to heal our
fractured lives. Let it become a powerful force for emptying our hearts and
strengthening our resolve to bring about greater understanding and lasting
communion.

On the vigil of the birth of Mary, Queen of Peace, we ask her prayers now
and in every moment of our dying.

amdg,

Jose Ramon T Villarin SJ