[Blueboard] Invitation to "Is the Philippines Really Moving up in Competitiveness and Innovation? Insights from the Global Competitiveness Report and the Global Innovation Index"

John Patrick I. Allanegui jallanegui at ateneo.edu
Thu Sep 5 10:02:26 PHT 2013

The School of Social Sciences’ Research Cluster on Environment, Society and
Sustainable Development,
Ateneo Innovation Center,
Department of Sociology and Anthropology *and the*
Department of Economics

cordially invite you to

*Is the Philippines Really Moving up in Competitiveness and Innovation?
Insights from the Global Competitiveness Report and the Global Innovation

Our rankings in the World Economic Forum’s *Global Competitiveness
Report* increased
from #85 in 2010 to #75 in 2011. However, in the Insead-Cornell’s Global
Innovative Index, the Philippine ranking stayed at rank #91 and #90 in
their 2011 and 2013 surveys. Nevertheless, analysts are bullish on the
Philippines.

Because the rankings are comparisons with other countries, it tells us how
well we are doing relative to the global community and not how whether we
are improving in absolute terms. While there have been clear improvements
under the presidency of PNoy, it is important that we understand what these
global surveys are telling us so that we can ensure our continued
improvement in our competitiveness and innovation into the next presidency
and for the long term.

Finally, it is important that we are able to ensure that national
competitiveness and innovation results in poverty reduction.

Dr. Fabian Dayrit
Director, Ateneo Innovation Center
Professor, Department of Chemistry
Ateneo de Manila University

Dr. Edsel Beja Jr.
Discussant
Associate Professor,
Department of Economics
Ateneo de Manila University

Dr. Emma Porio
Moderator
Research Cluster Head and Chairperson,
Department of Sociology and Anthropology

4:30 pm – 6:00 pm
Faber Hall Rm. 302