[Blueboard] Ateneo Physics News

Quirino Jr. M. Sugon qsugon at ateneo.edu
Tue Jul 30 08:39:45 PHT 2013

This week in Ateneo Physics News:

http://ateneophysicsnews.wordpress.com/2013/07/30/ateneo-physics-faculty-dr-eduardo-cuansing-jr-the-journey-from-creative-writing-to-theoretical-physics/

Question 1. What was your career track?

I studied in Tay Tung High School in Bacolod City. Actually, I passed
Philippine Science High School, but my parents did not allow me to go. I
was also accepted in the Ateneo Chemical Engineering and Management
Engineering programs, but I studied instead at the University of St. La
Salle in Bacolod City.

I like science. I like to write. So I asked my self, “Why not Creative
Writing?”After one year, I went to the University of Philippines-Diliman as
a Creative Writing major. I was thinking of writing science fiction novels
as a career, though I didn't know yet that I needed to take Chemistry and
Physics to do this. Then I met Prof. Yanga in Natural Science 1 in UP
Diliman. He convinced me to shift to physics. After one year in Creative
Writing, I shifted to physics and then finished my degree. I worked with
Dr. Magpantay for my thesis on non-Abelian gauge theories.

I went to the International Center for Theoretical Physics in Trieste,
Italy for the diploma program in high energy physics. After that I moved to
Purdue University for my PhD. in Physics. In Purdue I did research on
Statistical Mechanics and Critical Phenomena. Dissertation with Hisao
Nakanishi. After that I moved to University of Pittsburg to work with Yadin
Goldschmidt. I was a postdoctoral fellow and we were working on the physics
of vortices in high Tc superconductor. I went back to the Philippines and
taught at De La Salle University for two years and two trimesters. Then I
went to the National University of Singapore. In the first two years I was
at the Physics department working with Jian-Sheng Wang on thermal transport
in quantum systems. After that I had another postdoctorate, but this time
in Electrical Engineering with Albert Liang on electron transport in
quantum devices. So finally, after three postdoctorate fellowships, I
decided that it was time for me to go back to the Philippines and go to
Ateneo de Manila University. Why Ateneo? Ateneo is semestral unlike DLSU
which is trimestral. I prefer the semestral system. Ateneo is also close to
UP; I can collaborate with people in UP. And the environment in Ateneo is a
university setting compared to other universities. Academic setting is more
conductive for thinking and doing research....

--
Dr. Quirino Sugon Jr.

Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, Ateneo de Manila University
Program Manager, Upper Atmosphere Dynamics, Manila Observatory
Phone: 63-2-4266001 local 4850