[Blueboard] Ateneo Physics News

Quirino Jr. M. Sugon qsugon at ateneo.edu
Thu Jul 11 09:38:56 PHT 2013

This week in Ateneo Physics News:

http://ateneophysicsnews.wordpress.com/2013/07/11/ateneo-physics-alumni-fr-oliver-dy-sj-bridging-science-and-theology/

Fr. Oliver Dy, SJ finished his BS Physics in Ateneo de Manila University
last 1997. He entered the Jesuits in 1998 and was ordained a priest in
2009. He spent two years serving in the prisoners in Muntinlupa and their
families. At present, he is pursuing a Doctorate in Theology at the
University of Leuven in Belgium. Below is an interview with Fr. Oliver Dy,
SJ by the Ateneo Physics News.

Question 1. Can you share to us your vocation story?

All my life I always think of myself as a scholar in one way or another. In
grade school my father worked for an international company. The tuition was
Php 20 every month, salary deductible. You can only enter that school if
your parents are in a certain position in the company in South Cotabato. In
high school I was in Philippine Science-Diliman for three years. My last
year was in Philippine Science-Davao. And then I took up one year college
in Electronics and Communications Engineering in San Carlos
University-Cebu. It was in Cebu I met the Jesuits. They convinced me to
finish my education in Ateneo. So I took up BS Physics in Ateneo de Manila
University. As you can see from this simple life history, it is as if I
have been a pilgrim in search for the truth. It is as if my vocation has
been to be a mediator between different worlds....

--
Dr. Quirino Sugon Jr.

Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, Ateneo de Manila University
Program Manager, Upper Atmosphere Dynamics, Manila Observatory
Phone: 63-2-4266001 local 4850