[Blueboard] Solidarity with Zamboanga

Rona Valenzuela mvalenzuela at ateneo.edu
Thu Jul 4 13:28:13 PHT 2013

[image: Inline image 1]

Memo to      :     The University Community

Subject         :     Solidarity with zamboanga

The past months have seen an escalation of shooting incidents in Zamboanga
City, most of which have resulted in the deaths of the victims. Yet it is
very rare that the killers are caught.

Ateneo de Zamboanga University counts several of its alumni among the
victims of gun violence who have yet to see justice served. The latest
Atenean to be killed was Justine Raphael Wee, a young Filipino-Chinese
trader who was shot by a lone gunman in the middle of a busy street on 22
June 2013.

The Sanggunian ng mga Mag-aaral ng mga Paaralang Loyola ng Ateneo de
Manila, a member of the Buklod Atenista alliance of Jesuit university
student councils, has initiated a campaign to spread awareness of the
rampant gun violence in Zamboanga City among our own students. I would like
to encourage the entire community to support the Sanggu’s efforts by
joining the prayer and candle-lighting ceremony at 4:30 pm on Thursday, 4
July 2013, at the SEC field, which will begin with a short situationer from
the Buklod Atenista delegates.

Let us show solidarity with the people of Zamboanga City in condemning the
violence, pressing for a competent response from their local government,
and demanding justice for the shooting victims.

Jose F Santos
Officer-in-Charge