[Blueboard] Labaw Donggon: One Big Fight for Artistic Creativity!

mvilches at ateneo.edu mvilches at ateneo.edu
Mon Feb 11 14:58:03 PHT 2013

Dear Friends,

If you haven't watched it, your usual cry for One Big Fight has not
yet reached epic proportions! :)

Labaw Donggon, a Hiligaynon epic, may just remain a reference material
in the Filipiniana sections of libraries - studied by scholars but
unnoticed by many. But with ENTABLADOS's play Labaw Donggon:  An Banog
ng Sanlibutan, Nicanor Tiongson's musical adaptation of this epic, it
is all for us to watch and enjoy - bringing home with us, after the
show, a 'fly high' feeling about being Filipino.

We talk a lot about promoting love of our own, love of country, love
of our Filipino cultural tradition.  For a couple of hours only, here
is one that tells about aspects of that culture in a more engaging
manner - with color
and music and agility - than a week's lecture could!  This
one-of-a-kind Ateneo production is also a testament to Atenean
artistic creativity:  Gino Gonzales' genius for the outdoor set and
amazing costume designs; Jerry Respeto's masterful directing, Jemma
Pamintuan's enchanting music; stage artists' (students, alumni,
faculty) wonderful acting, dancing, singing - great, great talents!

Labaw Donggon is about us:  our aspirations for happiness; our
adventures toward it; our quest for greater self knowledge.

A must watch! Catch Labaw Donggon till February 16 at Cervini Field.
Fly Higher! One Big Fight for Artistic Creativity!

Best,
Marlu

MARIA LUZ C. VILCHES, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Dean, School of Humanities
Loyola Schools, Ateneo de Manila University
Loyola Heights 1108, Quezon City, Philippines
Telephone (632) 4266001, Ext. 5300, 5301
Telephone & Fax (632)4261042
http://www.ateneo.edu/soh

"I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
            -W.B. Yeats