[Blueboard] Dr. Barbaza's lecture:(Still) Only a God Can Save Us: Heidegger and the Oblivion of Being

Mariel Ann P. Villanueva mpvillanueva at ateneo.edu
Wed Feb 6 09:01:08 PHT 2013

(Still) Only a God Can Save Us: Heidegger and the Oblivion of Being

A Public Lecture

Remmon E. Barbaza, Ph.D.
Associate Professor in Philosophy

Friday, 8 February 2013
2:00 - 5:00 p.m.
School of Management Bldg. Rm. 211 (SOM 211)

Abstract:

The oblivion of being, which is also the forgottenness of the
difference between being and beings (think of the difference between
being human and human beings, between art and works of art),
characterizes the history of Western thought. What is forgotten,
indeed remains unthought, is this difference as difference. All
science, understood in the widest sense and which thus includes
philosophy and theology, has preoccupied itself with throughout this
history are the differences among beings as beings. Governed by a
metaphysics of ?ontotheology,? this historical epoch is now
culminating in the age of modern technology, according to whose
essence everything is ?framed,? forcibly summoned, gathered,
calculated, and manipulated in order to be mobilized for constant,
instant and universal availability. This oblivion of being does not
simply or primarily belong to human agency, but to the history of
being itself. The fact that the enormous advancement of science and
technology happens alongside widespread destruction of our environment
and modern technological catastrophes indeed gives us pause. Could it
not be that indeed we do not know what we are doing? Could it not be
that indeed we are not yet thinking, that is, not in the sense of
calculative thinking, but in the sense of a more humble, meditative
thinking? Could it not be that indeed we have yet to learn how to
dwell on earth? Could it not be that indeed only a God can save us?

Dr. Remmon E. Barbaza is Associate Professor in Philosophy, School of
Humanities, Ateneo de Manila University. He earned a Ph.D. in
Philosophy from Munich School of Philosophy (2002), under the
supervision of Prof. Dr. Gerd Haeffner, S.J. His dissertation,
Heidegger and a New Possibility of Dwelling, was published in 2003
(Frankfurt: Peter Lang). His essay, ?There Where Nothing Happens: The
Poetry of Space in Heidegger and Arellano,? appears as a chapter in
the second, expanded edition of Heidegger and the Earth: Essays in
Environmental Philosophy, edited by Ladelle McWhorter and Gail
Stenstad (Toronto UP: 2009). His research interests include Heidegger,
technology, language, environment, the city and translation. He is
currently working on a translation of Heidegger texts into Filipino.

Philosophy Department
Ateneo de Manila University
426-6001 loc.5360/61