[Blueboard] You are warmly invited: Trafficking in Nostalgia by Exie Abola

m baytion alunsina2010 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 15:38:09 PHT 2012

TRAFFICKING in NOSTALGIA, Exie Abola's first book of essays, will be
launched on Friday, September 28, from 5pm, at the ALIWW Reading Room,
beside the Rizal Library Special Collections building, Ateneo de Manila
University, Loyola Heights, Quezon City.

In her foreword to the book, Rica Bolipata-Santos tells us what it may mean
to "traffic in nostalgia:"

    Exie was a poet in his former life and I am guessing is still a poet at
heart. The traffic serves more
    than one purpose: his works traffic as verb but also as adjective.
Writers are nostalgic by nature,
    and our longing for a world where words are enough fuels all our
desires. The transactions we make
    with writing, the pleadings and negotiations for just one more turn of
phrase from the Muse, are what
    we traffic in. But it also points to what it might mean to be caught in
nostalgia, where images and
    memories collide.

And this light and handy book indeed bursts with images and memories: of
the houses he has lived in, the music and books loved and grown up with,
the individuals encountered along the way to adulthood.

While Exie's well-crafted pieces are ostensibly about him, one can't help
but see oneself in them and feel, all over again, the familiar ache for
home, the thrilling excitement of first dates and first rallies, the inner
turmoil that political uncertainty brings. One is grateful that there is
such a writer who does not balk at his job, who "persists in the act of
writing" and happily "accepts (his) task as a composer of elegies" so that
"what we cannot retrieve, we (can) revive...hoping it will live on in our
words" (pp 193, 194).

Exie Abola teaches creative writing and English at the Ateneo de Manila
University, and is a prize-winning author of short stories and essays. His
work has also come out in literary magazines and anthologies.

TRAFFICKING in NOSTALGIA will be sold at 340 pesos at the launch venue
(regular price 375 pesos); and will later be available at the Loyola
Schools Bookstore and the Ateneo Press bookshop (www.ateneopress.org), and
by customer order at good bookstores.

Thank you, we hope to see you!

--
Ateneo de Manila University Press
Ground Floor, Bellarmine Hall
Email: unipress at admu.edu.ph

Visit our website:
www.ateneopress.org

 Events in September: "Archival Fragility and Anarchival Temporalities in
Philippine Cinema," LECTURE by Bliss Lim, Sept. 26, 430 pm, Faura AVR, AdMU
campus. Co-sponsored by Kritika Kultura. TRAFFICKING IN NOSTALGIA by Exie
Abola, booklaunching, Sept 28, 5 pm, ALIWW Gallery, AdMU campus. ANG BAYAN
SA LABAS NG MAYNILA and LA INDIA (UP Press) by Chari Lucero,
double-booklaunching, Sept. 28, 3.30 pm, Finster Hall, Ateneo de Davao
University. RSVP and queries about events thru unipress at admu.edu.ph.

BOOKS OF THE  MONTH: DOWN FROM THE HILL: Ateneo de Manila in the First Ten
Years Under Martial Law, 1972-1982, ed. Cristina Jayme Montiel and Susan
Evangelista; LIVING AND DYING: In Memory of 11 Ateneo de Manila Martial Law
Activists, by Cristina Jayme Montiel; SOCDEM: Filipino Social Democracy in
a Time of Turmoil and Transition, 1965-1995, ed. Benjamin T. Tolosa Jr.;
NOT ON OUR WATCH: Martial Law Really Happened. We were There, ed. Jo-Ann Q.
Maglipon

I have always been happy in libraries...
                                              -Alan Bennett