[Blueboard] Stellar Origins, Human Ways, edited by Ma. Assunta C. Cuyegkeng

m baytion alunsina2010 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 15:37:24 PHT 2012

Dear fellow booklovers,

We are happy to inform you that the book STELLAR ORIGINS, HUMAN WAYS,
edited by Ma. Assunta C. Cuyegkeng with contributions from the Science 10
faculty of the Loyola Schools' School of Science and Engineering, was
finalist for Natural Science at the recently held Gintong Aklat awards.

Our congratulations to the editor and the contributors!

Subtitled Readings in Science, Technology, and Society, STELLAR ORIGINS,
HUMAN WAYS brings together the writings of Genejane Adarlo, Ronald Cruz,
Ma. Henrietta Cruz, Ma. Assunta C. Cuyegkeng, Fabian Dayrit, Erwin
Enriquez, Emilyn Espiritu, Abigail Marie Favis, Jerrold Garcia, John
Holdsworth, Francis Ted Limpoco, Norman Dennis Marquez, Ma. Josefina Musa,
Gemma Teresa Narisma, Catherine Manuela Ramos, Daniel McNamara, SJ, Nina
Rosario Roxas, Lua Pottier, and Jose Ramon Villarin, SJ.

The book's essays invite both the student and the general reader to engage
with ideas on creation, discovery, and innovation; various findings
regarding the impact of technologies and practices on our human lives
(telecommunications, nanotech, genetics, packaging, smoking, food choices);
and reflections on sustainable development for the next century in the face
of present threats to the environment. The book ends with how it all
began--with an exploration of the emergence of life from the stars and the
origins of the Universe.

Since the book came out it has been used by Science 10 classes in the
university. One feedback received recently was from an alumna, science
writer Maribel Garcia: "Finished Stellar Origins, Human Ways. Wonderful
readings! Wish we had them when I was in college!!"

STELLAR ORIGINS, HUMAN WAYS is part of the Ateneo Press's Science and
Society series, with Daniel McNamara, SJ., as series editor. Copies of the
book are available at the Loyola Schools Bookstore, the Mind Museum shop,
the Ateneo Press bookshop (www.ateneopress.org), and by customer order at
good bookstores.

Thank you, happy reading and stargazing!

--
Ateneo de Manila University Press
Ground Floor, Bellarmine Hall
Email: unipress at admu.edu.ph

Visit our website:
www.ateneopress.org

 Events in September: "Archival Fragility and Anarchival Temporalities in
Philippine Cinema," LECTURE by Bliss Lim, Sept. 26, 430 pm, Faura AVR, AdMU
campus. Co-sponsored with Kritika Kultura. TRAFFICKING IN NOSTALGIA by Exie
Abola, booklaunching, Sept 28, 5 pm, ALIWW Gallery, AdMU campus. ANG BAYAN
SA LABAS NG MAYNILA and LA INDIA (UP Press) by Chari Lucero,
double-booklaunching, Sept. 28, 3.30 pm, Finster Hall, Ateneo de Davao
University. RSVP and queries about events thru unipress at admu.edu.ph.

BOOKS OF THE  MONTH: DOWN FROM THE HILL: Ateneo de Manila in the First Ten
Years Under Martial Law, 1972-1982, ed. Cristina Jayme Montiel and Susan
Evangelista; LIVING AND DYING: In Memory of 11 Ateneo de Manila Martial Law
Activists, by Cristina Jayme Montiel; SOCDEM: Filipino Social Democracy in
a Time of Turmoil and Transition, 1965-1995, ed. Benjamin T. Tolosa Jr.;
NOT ON OUR WATCH: Martial Law Really Happened. We were There, ed. Jo-Ann Q.
Maglipon

I have always been happy in libraries...
                                              -Alan Bennett