[Blueboard] Twenty-one Grams of Spirit and Seven Ounces of Desire by Maria Isabel Garcia

m baytion alunsina2010 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 16:56:01 PHT 2012

Dear fellow booklovers,

We are happy to inform you that Maria Isabel Garcia's second collection of
essays, TWENTY-ONE GRAMS OF SPIRIT AND SEVEN OUNCES OF DESIRE, won the
Gintong Aklat award for Natural Science, given at the Manila International
Book Fair last September 12. The Gintong Aklat is given to publishers every
two years by the Book Development Association of the Philippines for
overall excellence in bookmaking.

We congratulate Ms. Garcia on this honor! We thank Karl Castro for the
unique design of the book, and Mitzi Borromeo for enlivening it further
with her thought-provoking graphics.

The essay collection has sixty-four pieces from Ms. Garcia's weekly column,
and they each try to "draw connections between science ideas and what they
may mean in our daily lives." This particular volume brings together the
author's reflections on the science of measure--dazzling in its precision
and magnitude--and our quest for meaning--endless, boundless, utterly
human: two dimensions that govern her writing life.

Ms. Garcia's previous book, SCIENCE SOLITAIRE, Essays on Science, Nature
and Being Human, won the National Book Award for the Essay in 2006. Her
column, De Rerum Natura, continues to come out in the *Philippine Star. *She
is at the same time curator of the hugely popular Mind Museum at Bonifacio
Global City, Taguig.

Copies of TWENTY-ONE GRAMS OF SPIRIT and SCIENCE SOLITAIRE are available at
the Loyola Schools Bookstore, the Ateneo Press bookshop (www.ateneopress.org),
the Mind Museum shop, and by customer order at good bookstores nationwide.

Thank you, happy wondrous reading!

--
Ateneo de Manila University Press
Ground Floor, Bellarmine Hall