[Blueboard] Not on Our Watch: Martial Law Really Happened. We were There, ed. Jo-Ann Q. Maglipon

m baytion alunsina2010 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 17:24:32 PHT 2012

Today, September 21, 2012, marks the fortieth year of the declaration of
martial law. NOT ON OUR WATCH, a collection of essays edited by Jo-Ann Q.
Maglipon, came about as an act of remembering the personal experiences of
some of those who put their lives "on the line and fought a deadly struggle
with the Marcos dictatorship,...who were violated--in body, mind, heart--by
that suppression." This book was published so that our children may know of
that time.

*That time* was, according to Conrad de Quiros, "when so many of the
country's best and brightest fell into the dark pit of state terrorism. But
this was also the time when so many of the country's best and brightest
rose to remind the world of what it means to be the best and brightest. It
is not just to be bright enough to become CEO of a big company or succeed
abroad, it is to be bright enough to know that you become your best when
you serve the people" (p.23).

This book, with illustrations by  Edd Aragon, gathers the stories of Angie
Castillo, Calixto Chikiamko, Jose Dalisay Jr., Manuel M. Dayrit, Jaime
FlorCruz, Jay Valencia Glorioso, Diwa C. Guinigundo, Sol F. Juvida, Victor
H. Maranang, Al S. Mendoza, Jack Teotico, Roberto Verzola, and Vic A.
Wenceslao. In the words of publishers Vic Wenceslao and Elso Cabangon,
"[I]t is our hope that these individual accounts of our members' lives
contain bright gems that readers, especially the young, will pick up, to be
used to illuminate their own sometimes dark paths."

NOT ON OUR WATCH is available at the Press bookshop at 600pesos (League of
Editors for a Democratic Society-College Editors Guild of the Philippines
1969-1972, Tel 02-9190264).

--
Ateneo de Manila University Press
Ground Floor, Bellarmine Hall
Email: unipress at admu.edu.ph

Visit our website:
www.ateneopress.org

 Events in September: ANG ASIN TIBUOK: Mga Kuwentong Pagkain, Sept 7, 430-6
pm, CTC 201, AdMU. Talk on INDIE Films by Bliss Lim, Sept 8, 11 am,
Shangri-la Premier Theater, Mandaluyong. GINTONG AKLAT Awards, Sept. 12,
SMX Convention Hall, MOA, Pasay City. Manila International BOOK FAIR, Sept.
12-16, SMX, MOA; free admission tickets from unipress at admu.edu.ph. ASWANG
Transmedia, Talk by Bliss Lim, Sept 13, 2.30 pm, UP College of Mass Comm.
On the ARCHIVES crisis in Philippine Cinema, Talk by Bliss Lim, Sept 26,
4.30 pm, Faura AVR, AdMU. TRAFFICKING in Nostalgia by Exie Abola,
booklaunching, Sept 28, 5 pm, ALIWW Gallery, AdMU. RSVP and queries about
events thru unipress at admu.edu.ph.

BOOKS OF THE  MONTH: DOWN FROM THE HILL: Ateneo de Manila in the First Ten
Years Under Martial Law, 1972-1982, ed. Cristina Jayme Montiel and Susan
Evangelista; LIVING AND DYING: In Memory of 11 Ateneo de Manila Martial Law
Activists, by Cristina Jayme Montiel; SOCDEM: Filipino Social Democracy in
a Time of Turmoil and Transition, 1965-1995, ed. Benjamin T. Tolosa Jr.;
NOT ON OUR WATCH: Martial Law Really Happened. We were There, ed. Jo-Ann Q.
Maglipon

I have always been happy in libraries...
                                              -Alan Bennett