[Blueboard] ENROLLMENT ONGOING: INTRODUCTORY THAI CERTIFICATE COURSE

acas at admu.edu.ph acas at admu.edu.ph
Tue Sep 11 15:38:30 PHT 2012

Ateneo Center for Asian Studies
Ateneo de Manila University

is now  accepting enrollees to

THAI 1: Introductory Thai Certificate Course

(ENROLLMENT DEADLINE: November 9, 2012, Friday)

Schedule of Classes:
November 17, 2012 to February 9, 2013/ 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon
(Ten Saturdays: Nov 17, 24, Dec 1, 8, 15, Jan 12, 19, 26, Feb 2 & 9)
Instructor: Kritsana Canilao, Ph.D.
Venue: TBA

Requirement for enrollment:
Zero background in Thai Language

Course description:
Thai/Standard Thai/Siamese is the national/official language of
Kingdom of Thailand. It represents a variety of Central Thai dialect,
which is used widely throughout the country. Thai belongs to Tai
language family, which is, to some extent, related to languages in
India, Myanmar, Laos, northern Vietnam, southern China, and Malay
peninsula. Thai, according to Iwasaki and Preeya (2005) has several
typological characteristics. It is a tonal language with five
contrastive tones. As all of the varieties of Tai, Thai is
monosyllabic. Unlike most of European or Austronesian languages, Thai
does not apply inflectional morphology to code grammatical information
such as number and gender for nouns and verbs. And it uses various
classifiers for counting different kinds of objects. Moreover, since
13th century, the writing system has been imposed by King Ramkhamhaeng
of Sukhothai dynasty. This system was adapted from Khmer, which
originated in India.
To be able to achieve any business or enjoy any activity in Thailand,
the country never colonized by westerners, learning Thai, especially
the language is the first thing non-Thai speakers should practise.
Thai people of any levels of education use only Thai as their medium
of communication; they do not speak other languages if not necessary.
Or a great number of them are monolinguals; they do not know, due to
low frequency of foreign language use, other languages even English.
Likewise, to reach fluently all-skilled proficiency in Indic-derived
alphabet Thai tonal language involves a great investment in time.
However, as far as I am concerned, in Thai everyday life, it is not
necessary to achieve that high/advanced level. Non-Thai speakers who
are able to use any Thai, even at the beginning level can meet with
success in communicating with Thai people in spite of some common
errors produced.
This Thai language course applies a linguistic approach to the
teaching of Thai as a second language. It covers phonology, syntax
(structure), and semantics (contextual meanings). Students will learn
to recognize, produce, and compare significant sounds of Thai language
to their own tongue. And they will be able to classify the functions
of words and form their own simple clauses and/or sentences. In
addition, they will know the meaning of words in context. The whole
course is primarily composed of ten chapters, which includes dialogue,
vocabulary, grammatical structure, and cultural information. Besides,
reading and writing for beginners will be imposed as well.
Intensive introductory Thai is the first key connecting people from
other countries to the gateway of Southeast Asia. It can, more or
less, help non-native Thai speakers, even with non-accurate
pronunciation, survive in Thailand.

Course goals:
1. To learn and appreciate Thai language, Thai ways of life, and Thai
cultures and
  concepts.
2. To understand students? own language and realize the value of their own
  language.

Course objectives:
1. To be able to use elementary Thai in realistic situations: making
requests and answering simple questions, ordering food, finding a
place to live, asking for and giving simple directions, shopping,
telling time, and expressing themselves and describing things.
2. To be able to observe preliminary remarks of Thai grammar and to
see their similarities and/or differences to students? home language.
3. To be able to read and write Thai script: consonants and vowels.

Coverage:
> Basic reference grammar Basic conversation: speak Thai in everyday life
> Introduction of alphabet (consonants and vowels) and lexical tones
> Thai history and politics, culture, and concepts

Certificate of Completion:
Certificate of Completion will be given upon meeting the following
requirements:
1.	80% class attendance
2.   60 % passing grade
      (written and oral examinations, quizzes, exercises, and assignments)

Registration Fee:
P 5,000.00 per student
P 4,500.00 per student for a group of not less than 10, on condition
that they register at the same time.
P 3,500.00 per ADMU (Loyola Schools only) faculty or staff member
Certificate of completion, ID and instructional materials (up to 80
pages) will be covered by the registration fee.

Payment options include OVER-THE-COUNTER payment through Metrobank or,
you may visit our office (Ateneo Center for Asian Studies, second
floor, Ricardo and Dr. Rosita Leong Hall) to pay.

For OVER-THE-COUNTER Payment through Metrobank, please follow the
following procedure:

1. Go to any Metrobank Trust Co. (MBTC) Branch.
2. Get a copy of Metrobank?s PAYMENT SLIP and accomplish the required
information/details:

          a. Company Name:       ATENEO DE MANILA UNIVERSITY
          b. Subscriber Name:     COMPLETE ENROLLEE/STUDENT'S NAME
          c. Reference Number:   INTRODUCTORY THAI
          d. Subscriber Number:  006
          e. Mode of Payment:    Cash/Check/Debit account
          f. Amount of Payment: Pxxxx.xx

NOTE: Slips are to be accomplished in duplicate copies.
               1st copy: Bank copy
               2nd copy: Client's copy

3. Present payment slip to MBTC tellers together with cash/check.
4. Once validated, MBTC teller will give you a validated copy.
5. Before leaving, check & verify the copy received (payment slip
serves as proof of payment);
           a.) If validated
           b.) if the copy was the one accomplished and presented to
bank teller
6. Fax the validated payment slip together with the registration form
(registration form is downloadable at www.ateneo.edu/offices/acas/ )
to 426-6001 loc. 5249 or scan and email to acas at admu.edu.ph
(preferred). Please indicate your name and contact number/s on the slip.

For inquiries: acas at admu.edu.ph ; 926-4202; 426-6001 (local 5285 or 5286)

To know more about ACAS, google Ateneo Center for Asian Studies, or
visit its website: http://www.ateneo.edu/offices/acas/

--
Lydia N. Yu-Jose, Ph.D.
Executive Director

Ateneo Center for Asian Studies
2/F Ricardo & Dr. Rosita Leong Hall,
Loyola Heights, Quezon City, 1108
Tel: (632) 426-6001 loc. 5285/5286; (632) 926-4202
Office hours: Monday to Friday, 1:00-5:00 pm
Email: acas at admu.edu.ph