[Blueboard] Bye, Gerry. ACAS will miss you

lyjose at ateneo.edu lyjose at ateneo.edu
Mon Sep 3 09:36:41 PHT 2012

On behalf of ACAS I would like to offer prayers for the eternal rest
of Gerry Rixhon.  I got the impression that Gerry must have been a
very dedicated teacher when, in one of the ACAS international
conferences, he silently listened to the paper presentation of, he
proudly told me, a former student of his. Gerry himself shared with
ACAS his deep knowledge of Filipino Muslim culture when he read a
paper, “Muslim Voices: An Introduction to Islam’s Oral Dimension” in
another of our conferences. I don’t remember anymore which took place
first: the student’s or the teacher’s presentation.  But Gerry
impressed me once again when he patiently revised his paper for
possible publication. It is now a chapter  in ASIAN COOPERATION:
PROBLEMS AND CHALLENGES in the NEW CENTURY (ACAS, 2005). I met Gerry
first via email before I met him in person in the ACAS conference.
After that, I would bump unto him on campus, and he would not fail to
greet me warmly. He will surely be missed as a dedicated teacher, a
serious and patient scholar, and a sincere friend.
Lydia N. Yu Jose
Ateneo Center for Asian Studies Director