[Blueboard] Basketball Fund

Rona Valenzuela mvalenzuela at ateneo.edu
Tue Oct 16 09:45:45 PHT 2012

Memo to:        The University Community

Subject:           Basketball Fund

For many years, Mr Manuel V Pangilinan, or MVP, was the sole benefactor of
the Ateneo Blue Eagles, our Men's Basketball Team. In that role, MVP
provided both financial support and inspirational leadership to the team and
under his stewardship, the Blue Eagles built an exceptional program and
achieved unprecedented success, the most recent being a "5-peat" UAAP
championship. Unknown to many, he supported the Women's and Juniors'
programs as well. As I have acknowledged in my memos to the University
Community last 25 September, we will always be grateful to him for his
generosity.

With MVP's departure, we have had to reassess our basketball programs and
institute structural changes to offset this loss. After consulting those who
have been involved in and instrumental to these programs, I have decided to
establish a Basketball Endowment Fund (BEF) to provide for the operations
and advancement of our Men's, Women's and Juniors' basketball programs. In
this way, as in the past, we do not have to draw from the revenue streams of
our University Athletics Office to support basketball.

We are now assembling a team who will assess the current cost profile;
define funding targets; establish strategic and operational policies and
structures; develop a set of viable goals and initiatives for the BEF; and
organize marketing and promotions campaigns, among other things. Fr Nemesio
Que SJ, long-time chaplain of the Blue Eagles, will head this team and
direct the administration of the BEF in order to ensure its proper
disposition and allocation.

Even now I am consoled by the groundswell of concern and support coming from
those who have signified their intention to step up and help us move to the
next level. I would like to promise everyone in the University Community
that we will be resolute and generous in looking after our athletes who
represent us when they take to the fields to fight the good fight and finish
the race.

In this blue and white month of October, we pray Mary to keep us constantly
true.

OBF AMDG,

Jose Ramon T Villarin SJ