[Blueboard] Framework Agreement on the Bangsamoro

Rona Valenzuela mvalenzuela at ateneo.edu
Mon Oct 15 09:57:18 PHT 2012

Memo to:        The University Community

Subject:           Framework Agreement on the Bangsamoro

The Ateneo de Manila wholeheartedly welcomes the recent adoption by the
Government of the Philippines (GPH) and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front
(MILF) of the 2012 Framework Agreement on the Bangsamoro. This agreement
commits the Parties to the creation of the Bangsamoro as the new political
entity to replace the ARMM or the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.

With this commitment to the Bangsamoro, the GPH and the MILF have created a
historic opportunity to establish lasting peace, economic growth, and social
equity in culturally diverse Mindanao. Without concrete avenues for
responsive political representation and poverty alleviation, the temptation
to reignite conflict will always be strong among the disaffected in the
region. Yet crucial tasks remain to be accomplished, such as the crafting of
the Bangsamoro Basic Law, setting in place the region's political and
governance institutions, sustainable and inclusive economic development,
peace and equity and stability in the region, and other such tasks that will
ensure a better future for our communities in Mindanao and our nation.

Beating swords into plowshares (Isaiah 2:4) demands proper wielding of the
right tools, which the Framework Agreement promises to provide. Thus, on
behalf of the Ateneo de Manila, I would like to register our full support
for the 2012 Framework Agreement on the Bangsamoro.

We offer not just our moral approval of the Framework and the intended
Bangsamoro. Our Catholic faith and tradition commits us to tread the
pathways taken and intimated to us by the Prince of Peace. Our vocation to
be "men and women for others" calls us to the frontiers of multi-cultural
openness and inter-religious dialogue. I therefore urge everyone in the
Ateneo community, especially those engaged in governance and development
work, to find ways to contribute effectively to the continuing peace process
in Mindanao.

We know the journey to peace to be long and difficult. We have taken an
important step here to bridge the societal divides that have long bedeviled
our communities in Mindanao. In praying to know who our neighbor is, let our
prayers move us to think and work harder in binding up the wounds of poverty
and conflict in Mindanao.

Jose Ramon T Villarin SJ